Looking to buy a pair of robust headphones that sound great

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Forest91, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Hi all, I'm just about to spend the next 6 months travelling, and before I go I would like to buy a pair of decent headphones to take with me. I need something that looks ok, isn't to big (I look silly with large headphones) and will stay working the way they're supposed to. I was thinking of the WESC Bongo's, they look great and I hear the sound is pretty good, they look like they could possibly be a little flimsy though.
    http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/wesc-bongo-headphones-blue-iris-prodid-1979.html
    A pair of Sennheiser's is also on the cards.
    http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/sen...ereo-headphones-black-hd-238-prodid-2006.html
    Something in the £30-£80 price range would be ideal. If anyone could give me any feedback, suggestions etc I would be most grateful.

2. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

I heard that the Sennhieser HD 280's sound great, block out noise, and are fairly durable. But they are SLIGHTlY bulky.... I dont know about the first one you chose, but the second ones sound ok.

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

4. quadG5guy macrumors member

Grado SR80's. Best bang for the buck in the headphone market. I think I paid $90 for mine a few years ago. Absolutely spectacular sound from the deepest bass to the highest treble to the smoothest mid-range. Light weight and comfortable too.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr80.htm

If you need something that blocks noise, for use on an airplane, look at the Shure in-ear models. They work very very well and have excellent sound.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/PersonalMonitorSystems/us_pro_earphones_content

5. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments so far. I will be using a ipod classic most of the time, will the majority of medium size headphones be sufficiently powered by an ipod?

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I would not use the word "comfy" and "grado" in the same sentence, ever.

Dumped my Grados for Senns, but the model I have -- HD555s -- are too big for traveling.

Really, earbuds would be the best if you can stand them. (I cant)

You didnt really say what kind of traveling... eurorail/backpacking/hostels/cheap hotel kind of thing? Or rental car nice hotel sorta thing?

I might really consider a pair of folding Senns, like the PXC 250s.

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_travel-line

Or, I would probably buy 2 cheaper $30 pairs and keep the second as a spare.

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Get in ear phones. They don't look ridiculous, they isolate better than noise canceling headphones, and they can sound good to boot.

I'd have to recommend either my headphones (well, not actually mine :p), the Head Direct RE0s, or of you don't mind shoving something into your ear, the etymotic er4p. Of course, there are others, but I can vouch for these two being some of the best phones money can buy in that price range.

Read around here for more: www.head-fi.org.

8. gguerini macrumors regular

gguerini

I just bought a Sennheiser HD238 and I love it. It's an incredible headphone and I really recommend it. Perfect sound and quality for the price. You'll find good references for this headphone on the website you liked here.

And the best thing: it's on sale on Amazon:
    from £74.99 to £45.99
    Sennheiser HD238

Go for it! ;)

9. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I highly recommend the Sennheiser PX-100. But they also make a version (totally different name) that has an iPod mic and remote control in the cord. Better yet! You can make Skype calls etc. (They also make PX-100W, in white, if it matters.)

[​IMG]

I think those are the new PX-100 ii, which is probably just as good if not better—might want to check reviews.

I got the PX-100s because I read they cost $40 or under yet had sound equal to sets over $100. And they do sound really, really good. But best of all:

* They fold up flat like sunglasses. Great for travel.

* They’re really durable. With all the hinges, and the super-thin wires, and wrapping them around the phones and shoving them in bags, and yanking them off my head by the cord... you’d think they would have broken. But they have lasted me around 5 years. Now the ear foam is starting to shred, but those pads are easy to replace with any old pad of the right size.

EDIT: Here’s the one with the mic (MM60):

http://www.touchgen.net/sennheiser-mm-60-ip-headset-review

I’d say that’s the ultimate portable iPhone/iPod headset, but I personally am waiting in hopes that they add volume controls to the cord. (Apple added that, so maybe third parties will follow suit.) Still, it has play/pause/skip controls, and that’s nice.

Note: these do not block your whole ear. You can still hear what’s going on. That’s a feature for me, but some people want to block everything out. (Sennheiser makes iPod earbuds with a mic, too.)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They don't isolate better than good noise-canceling headphones.

11. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i have a pair of the sennheiser px 100 - they sound good but they do not block out any ambient noise, and any time i was on the subway or if a truck drove past me outside i would barely be able to hear my music.

also have grado sr-60s, which sound fantastic but are not that comfortable, or portable.

for my ipod/iphone i use sennheiser mm-50ip. they have a mic/controller that works on newer ipods, sound very good, and are very comfortable, especially for long use.

12. Apollo7011 macrumors member

Klipsh s4i

I just bought a couple pair of headphones recently to see which i liked, and I must say the klipsh s4i's are amazing! They are in ear phones, very comfortable, block out sound well, dont tangle at all really, and most importantly the sound quality is amazing! I feel like im in my own world when I have them on blasting my music.

13. spierce7 macrumors newbie

14. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I too have the same one, bought on ebay for $80. Anyway, its very much worth the money. VERY COMFORTABLE, number one reason, the sound is great, and it isolates so you don't have to turn it up so much.

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Yes, they do. With foam tips they isolate around 30dB. That's better than any active noise canceling headphone. Including that Bose crap.

The Klipsch S4 is also a great choice. Plenty of bass, and comfy too.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Thats becase ANC headphones are crap in general. A good pair of studio-quality isolation headphones will be better than any earbud in terms of both isolation and quality.

17. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I doubt that honestly. Etymotics can isolate to 42dB with the triple flange tips. If you can find me a pair of full sized headphones that can make that claim I'd be surprised.

18. Palanka macrumors newbie

monster

Monster, Beats by Dre are a quality option for new headphones.. Great sound, durable etc

19. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

You realize that this thread is more than 6 months old right? Maybe the OP is back from his trip by now:p

Though beats by dr dre are wonderful...but i don't think they are worth $300...I prefer Bose QC15...best headphones i have ever used :eek: