Looking to buy an iPhone 5 - UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by *nix, Oct 15, 2012.

1. *nix macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to go for an iPhone 5. I haven't yet decided between buying one directly from Apple or going for a contract with O2.

I haven't heard of any issues with O2 phones but I've heard of issues with iPhone 5 purchases directly from Apple, although I know this proves no correlation.

I'm still wary of things :( Can members from the UK offer me any advice or share your experiences?

2. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Hi
    I can't provide you with any experience as i'm still on the daily reservations roundabout with my local apple store, but i am definitely going unlocked for the flexibility of the SIM only contracts.

I did find a deal from t mobile whereby the 24 month contract price was about £50 cheaper thn buying outright and taking a cheap orange sim only deal, but the flexibility is the thing that made me decide.

Good luck in your purchase, whichever you decide!

3. *nix thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone purchased a handset directly from Apple only to find it's one of the scratched/chipped/marked/damaged ones?

4. JazzG macrumors member

I bought two and both came out perfectly and since then have worked perfectly and no scuffs at all. Bought another one off a forum which came via T-Mobile and had a mark on the side!

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

depends how money is at the moment for you...buying at apple saves you from locking into a contract but still it would be a good £200-300 cheaper going via contract.

6. *nix thread starter macrumors newbie

Have they scuffed as easily as some experiences have mentioned? Also, how is the anodized coating holding up?

7. ElNino9 macrumors newbie

I have, sadly.

Nothing massive, but there is quite a small, deep chip on the very corner of the casing.

Still in the process of deciding what to do with it.

8. JazzG macrumors member

Mine is still perfect as is the wife's.

9. Furifo macrumors 6502

My preordered launch day iPhone from Apple has been flawless. The phone was in perfect condition when I opened the box.

10. *nix thread starter macrumors newbie

So the anodized coating generally holds up to wear and tear? Is it only the defective iPhone 5s' coating that peels off rather easily?

11. harlex macrumors member

12. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

But then it is hard for recycled ice cream tubs to be anodised....

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

It took me 14 attempts at reserving an iphone 5 through Apple from the Meadowhall shop.

I was successful last friday and picked it up Saturday.

No scuffs.
    No clicky screen.
    No wifi issues.

I preferred to get mine from the shop so i could open it up and check it out as obviously getting one online could result in having to send it back off, although from recent threads they are fast at sending another out.

Either way i would say purchase with confidence as you do get a 14 day return period too.

I also chose Apple because they are truly sim free unlocked versions.
    02 presently will not sell them on payg which is the user i am.

If you have any further questions then please feel free to ask.

14. Liam08 macrumors newbie

I bought mine direct and it's spot on. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I got mine on launch day too, if this makes a difference.