Looking to buy Applecare for 15" MBP bout 9 months old

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dr Strangelove, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

As the title states, I am looking to buy the apple care for this first Mac. It seems pricing is all over the place and I do not know what is safe. Is Ebay a viable option and if so can someone direct me to a seller they have had success with please?

Thanks in advance

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

eBay can be fine, just make sure you get a physical box, because Apple considers the card in that box the ultimate proof of ownership. I didn't with my most recent purchase, and it applied fine, but I haven't actually tried to claim on the warranty yet, so I'm crossing my fingers. There was a whole thread on this that's still active.

If you want to be a little more certain and are willing to spend a bit more to gain that certainty, try Amazon. It'll be a bit more (probably $50-75 more), but it'll be brand-new unopened box so there's no risk. Still cheaper than Apple by a decent amount.

EDIT: eBay has them for around $160, Amazon was $258, so $100 difference. Still, for the no-risk option, Amazon might be worth the extra money.

jW

3. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I notice this huge price difference also. Hmm, what to do what to do. Nobody here has an ebay reseller they can suggest?

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

I bought apple care for my iPhone from coastal_computing. It worked great, he is very quick (i bought AC the day before my iPhone was to expire), and also sells AC for MBPs, which i didn't know. His name is Corey, and his feedback is 99.7 % and has 3600+ feedback. They are based in Seattle. If you want the box for AC, you need to email him specifying that. I would def.do that with AC for a MBP. The iPhone i wasn't too worried. Apple has a website that you can go to, to enter you SN to see if you have AC.

5. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Buy the warranty from la computer they have the best prices

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

For peace of mind, I personally, wouldn't touch eBay on such a matter; they have a history of scams - there are other threads which discuss the topic of laundered offerings such as Applecare via eBay. I'd go the Apple route (which is what I did myself), or, failing that, Amazon. Several posters - such as TheShinyMac - (this topic has come up before) have recommended la computer.

Cheers and good luck