Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
Hello,

I am looking to buy a MBP 17" and was looking for some advice. I'm not very tech savy and to make things easy for myself i figure i would just max out all the options on the the MBP like upgrading to the 3.06ghz, 8gb of ram, 500gb 7200rpm hdd or 256gb ssd, and 24" led cinema. I figure getting these upgrades the computer will last me much longer and I will be prepared to use ot for anything. My main thing right now would be photoshop and then moving into other things from there.

Am i getting hosed getting these upgrade options from apple? or should i get a base system and buy these components aftermarket? I have read on here that the motherboards can handle more than 8mb of ram once they manf those chips, that there are better quality hdd and ssd, and better quality led cinmea displays.

What are some of your recomendations? Get it all from apple so its all warrantied together or upgrade later?

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow. Are you really willing to spend that kind of money? Depending on what you need to do, I don't think you really need all that RAM.

The new MBPs are all not user-serviceable, especially if you're not tech-savvy, as you said, since you would have to open up the bottom and replace the RAM chips and swap out the HDD by yourself. Get them straight from Apple: more expensive, but effective. Plus, getting after-market parts may open you up to possible scams.

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
Thanks for your replay and input. Yes, I will spend that money, my cousin will use his student discount :). As for Tech Savy and mechanicaly savy, well those are two different things. I certainly know how to unscrew and unplug things. Now knowing if i need 4gb of ram or 8gb or if the compoments from apple are quality or overpriced pos...that i dont.

Wow. Are you really willing to spend that kind of money? Depending on what you need to do, I don't think you really need all that RAM.

The new MBPs are all not user-serviceable, especially if you're not tech-savvy, as you said, since you would have to open up the bottom and replace the RAM chips and swap out the HDD by yourself. Get them straight from Apple: more expensive, but effective. Plus, getting after-market parts may open you up to possible scams.

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Right, I understand. But, I dunno. Personally, I'm very comfortable with both mechanical and tech tasks, but I daren't open up my brand new MBP to stick in sticks of RAM that I bought after-market for cheap. I keep expecting things to blow up as a result.

I mean, if you're already going to spend that money spec-cing that thing up, you might as well get everything from Apple.

newbie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
NJ
Ohhh, I'm not looking to buy after-market cheap. From reading the forum, i get the feeling apple uses parts that are "ok" but chrages you for diamonds, but there are much better parts avaibale.

I'm not scared to open up and change things. I'll wait for someone else to reply. But thanks.

Right, I understand. But, I dunno. Personally, I'm very comfortable with both mechanical and tech tasks, but I daren't open up my brand new MBP to stick in sticks of RAM that I bought after-market for cheap. I keep expecting things to blow up as a result.

I mean, if you're already going to spend that money spec-cing that thing up, you might as well get everything from Apple.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
If you want more RAM, I'd definately suggest buying it from somewhere other than Apple. They totally rip you off, lookie here.
# 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB [+ £799.99]

That was Apple,

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
£544.99 ex. VAT
£626.74 inc. VAT*

That was Crucial.
And that was the first site I found.

Don't use that as a reason to spend money, that's like saying 'Well I'm taking £1000 into the Apple store just in case, but even if what I want costs £700, I'll spend the rest because I had it with me.'

Save money at every opportunity, even if it means spending a little more of your time to complete a task.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.