Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Star Nuts

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
1. Is there any one SSD recommended over all others or will most any work fine as long as it's compatible?

2. What EXACTLY will I need? From what I gather, I need the SSD, an optibay, and some small screwdrivers.

3. Does it make a difference if I put it in the optical drive space or should I move the HDD to the optical dive slot and put the SSD where the HDD is now?

4. If I should swap the SSD and the HDD, would the optibay work for either one?

Nov 28, 2010
located
1. Currently the Samsung 830 is a recommended SSD.
Crucial M4 and Vertex 3 and 4 SSDs are also recommended.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. If the optibay in your Mac supports S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III), then it is safe to use the SSD in the optibay adapter.

4. Yes, I have S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) speeds on both ports (HDD bay and optibay), thus my SSD is in the optibay and the HDD in the HDD bay to support Sudden Motion Sensor.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.