Looking to make a mirrored copy of my external hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by afx2in, Aug 30, 2008.

1. afx2in macrumors newbie

I currently have a 1TB WD Studio external hard drive connected via FW800 to my iMac that I have partitioned into two drives, one is my TimeMachine backup and the other is my music/movies storage.

I've purchased another 1TB Studio drive that I plan on using a FW800 cable to daisy chain with my current external drive. I want to have my new drive be a mirror of the existing 1TB drive to be a "backup of my backups."

I know that I can use Disk Utility to set up a RAID 1, but will I lose any of my data when I initially set this up? i.e. will I have to format my existing drive or will the Disk Utility just start copying the data from my existing drive to the new one?

Also, once the drives are mirrored, will I now have 4 drive icons on my desktop or will it still only show two?

FWIW, i have an iMac core 2 duo running Mac OS X (10.5.4)

2. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm pretty much in the same situation. Thought it would be better to add to this than create a new thread!

I have 2 x 1TB WD FW hard drives. I'm currently using SuperDuper to mirror the drives but was wondering if would be better to set a RAID within the Disk Utility?

Cheers in advance.