Looking to make a new friend in NYC for the pending iPhone launch.

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Hummer, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hummer, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Last year I waited 3 days in line for the iPhone 4, and I was only number 12 in line. This year if there is an iPhone release, I'm set on being first in line, so I'm looking for a new friend who would be willing to wait in line with me and wants to either buy the new device for themselves or sell their spot in line afterward if they don't actually want an iPhone, but would like to keep me company.

2. treestar macrumors 6502

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Geeze, I got in line at 5:30am the morning of the launch and was about 60th in line. I'm all about camping overnight for this one, but 3 days in advance is crazy. I'll be out the the afternoon before the launch and I'm sure I'll have a really decent spot. Then again, I'm not in times square either. I'm in quiet, quaint, Ardmore, pa.

5. snipez macrumors newbie

snipez

how do people stay in line for 3 days?

I would assume to afford an expensive Apple product that these people should have a job, correct?

do you just phone work and tell them the truth? and you need 3 days off?

is it worth losing 3 days of income to purchase something that anyone has access to usually a few weeks after launch?

6. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

that's what I was thinking. 3 days just so you can be first? Must be self made millionaire.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I got in line 2 days early last year in Rockaway, NJ and sold my spot for $450 :p

8. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

:eek:
    Having a hard time wrapping my head around this. For a personal phone I wouldn't do it.

but for somebody who develops or is in the accessory business, it may make sense.

9. Hummer, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

My friend waited with me last year. He was number 13 and he sold his spot for $300, but could've gotten more if he was okay with waiting it out a bit longer.

I have a job where I can work from anywhere there is a computer and internet access, so I can camp out for as long as necessary. All Apple Stores have free wifi, and my MacBook Air will get me through a 9 hour work day with a bit of charging during my lunch break.

Edit: Even if I didn't have a job, there are companies out there who pay people good money to sit around at highly publicized events and promote their products.

10. ScKcBc macrumors regular

Why not just pre order it and get it the day it comes out? or even 1-2 days early like people did last time?

11. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I get a lot of excitement out of spending time with like-minded people while hanging around at an Apple Store. I find Apple product launches to be the perfect time to do that, and the wait in line is just a badge of honor to wear as an Apple fan, in my opinion.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

a little early to be recruiting scalpers isn't it?

13. tann macrumors 68000

What if you need the toilet? Can you leave the line:s? Can you leave for food as well? I never understood how people do it alone for more than a night!

14. LeakedDave macrumors regular

just when I was thinking about camping outside the Apple store >.<

Seriously, what if you gotta pee man?!

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

wear your Depends :eek:

16. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I found someone to camp out with. Thank you all for your banter. It would still be great to meet up with those of you who live in New York on launch day, depending on which store you decide to go to. Feel free to message me if anyone plans on coming out.

17. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Good luck !!

I will be waiting in NJ

18. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I have to by an iphone next december because of a stupid contact.

19. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You don't HAVE to wait.

You can buy the new phone unlocked, then sell your existing one to make up some of the cost. iPhone 4 in good condition I would expect to bring around $350-$400 after the 5 is launched, if you pay $650 for the new unlocked (price of a current iPhone 4 16GB) then you'll be into it for a net $250-$300. Not a whole lot more than the subsidized price.

Plus because you're not changing your contract, you'll be in prime position for a subsidized iPhone 6 whenever they come out.

20. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky