Looking to "RIP" Bluray movies to my iMac, What are my options? ( If any )

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maf2k8, Jul 16, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok so i am looking to "RIP" ( not burn or copy ) BluRay movies to my iMac ( i7 )

Since i am only looking to RIP them, All i need is a Bluray reader ( not writer if i am correct )

With that said, can i use any internal bluray drive and install it into a external enclosure? or will this not work?

What are my options? "If Any"

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

4. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I would suggest using an external blu ray writer and using the program makeMKV to rip the media. After that just import them to the Plex application and you are good to go. The rips are a minimum or 25gb so I hope for your sake you have a lot of space.

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Bought a sata bluray drive at walmart for $88. Got a USB 2.0 enclosure for about $40. Use makemkv to rip and VLC to playback. Works like a charm.

Oh yeah, got a 2TB disc to store all the rips.

6. Romeo604 macrumors regular

Will any internal blu ray reader be connected to a mac as all the blu ray drives i am searching only supports windows.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Almost all Blu-ray drives are SATA, so you should just need a 5.25" SATA enclosure with a USB2 or Firewire controller. Most people get LG drives; the Pioneers can be problematic.