Looking to sell my old iphone 3G, what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gmcube, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Gmcube macrumors regular

So, Ive upgraded to an iphone 4 and I'm now looking to get whatever I can for my old refurbished black 3G. I had a case on it for about a year, until it broke. So the back and sides have been naked ever since. The logo has a noticeable scratch going through it. Ive also recently noticed a hairline crack near the 32 pin connector. No clue how it got there, I haven't dropped it or anything in a long time.

Ive had a screen protector on it since day one, so it should be flawless.

Its on 4.01 firmware, jailbroken but not unlocked. 16 gig

I'm in the US if that makes any difference.

I understand AT&T gives you money for them? Any idea what they give you for them? Would I be better off using some other means? How much is it even worth these days?

2. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Craigslist, eBay or similar would generally net you more cash than an operator trade in. Having said that, it may be worth contacting AT&T to see if they have any upgrade offers when you buy an iPhone 4.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If its unlockable, you can get quite a bit of cash compared to selling it AT&T locked.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T does not give you money for them or takes them in at all.
    Radio shack and best buy might have a buy back program and they might offer you an amount but you have to contact them and find out details.
    Or like said above try ebay or CL cause those will probably get you a little more money.

5. Gmcube thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, is it Apple that does it then? I could have sworn I heard one of them does...

Anyway, Ive never unlocked a phone before. When you say if its unlockable, does that mean I should unlock it myself, or is it good enough that it can be? what baseband is needed for that?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Unlockable is exactly what it means. The device can be unlocked. You can either do it or the new owner can.

The baseband (modem firmware) determines whether the iPhone can be unlocked or not.