Looking to sync iphone with two Macs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jnardis, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I did a few searches but really couldn't find anything specific what I'm trying to do. I would like to have two computers (iMac and Mac Book Air) be able to sync with my iphone. I have my iMac and home and the Mac Book Air at work. Is there a way to plug in my iphone into each computer and not lose and data? I really don't want to use the cloud.

2. jkeith0919 macrumors member

Google "sync iPhone with 2 computers" just did it & found multiple sites with instructions.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

?

OP, what data are you referring to?

Contacts, Calendar, Notes or media like Music and Movies?

4. jacob11 macrumors member

1. Select "Disable automatic syncing for all i Phones" under Edit / Preferences / iPhone in the iTunes menu.

2. Uncheck "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" in the Summary tab of iTunes.

3. Check "Only sync checked items" in the same tab.

4. On the computer you want to sync contacts and calendar, check the corresponding boxes in the Info tab. UNCHECK everything else in the MUSIC, PHOTOS, PODCAST and VIDEO tabs.

5. Sync your iPhone with this computer FIRST.

6. On your other computer, follow the same steps above (1, 2 and 3). Then, UNCHECK everything in the INFO tab, and check everything else on the other tabs.

7. When you sync with this second computer, you may get a message that the iPhone has already been synced with another computer, and that the media library will be deleted. Fine. There should be NO media library on the iPhone since you unchecked all the media items on the first computer, right?

8. Sync. Then you can sync on both computers and each will sync what is checked and not overwrite the rest.