Looking to upgrade 3GS to 4S (AT&T), ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mach250, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mach250 macrumors member

I was originally planning on waiting til around tax time for some extra funds but now I'm going to surprise my wife for christmas. I see that it shows my unlimited data for the same $30 a month but I don't see my 200 texts for $5 anywhere and when I look at the options it only shows unlimited for $20 a month per phone. I barely send 20 texts a month but I would like to try out the front facing camera with with my wife from time to time just messin around. Do I have to get that unlimited text plan to do video chat? Also if I say screw it would I be able to keep the 200 text $5 plan?

Thanks.

Edit: what version OS do the 4S's ship with?

2. DerekTS macrumors regular

Texting has nothing to do with Facetime.

All iPhone 4S's ship with iOS 5.

3. mach250 thread starter macrumors member

Didnt really answer the question, do I need the $20 addon to use it? and I want to know the version so I can look into JB...haven't looked at it since I did the 4.0.1 jailbreak on my 3GS

side question, can I use the full bodied protectors here with a case too? I've noticed that dust/debris got into my case and scratched up the back of the phone which is pretty annoying

http://www.bodyguardz.com/brands/apple/?devices=1417

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No you don't need the $20 for chatting. They eliminated all the texting except for unlimited or pay as you go. You'll be grandfathered into unlimited data, too, for the same $30

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Facetime does not need a texting plan. You can keep your existing $5 plan when you upgrade. You could also just pay .20 per text with no plan.

What case? It really does matter. Most tight fittling cases will not work work with a protector like bodyguardz.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There is no jailbreak for iOS 5+ as of yet and what protection you use is up to you.

8. mach250 thread starter macrumors member

so then the only benefit to the $20 plan is unlimited texts? everything else is wifi only?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I believe there are two things you cannot do over 3G: FaceTime and >20mb iTunes downloads. The rest is free game with your $30 data plan. The $20 plan lets you do text and media messages. It also provides free mobile to any mobile calling, even outside your network.