Looking to upgrade my SSD in late 2013 13" retina but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elgrecomac, May 13, 2017.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I want to upgrade my Late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro. I have traditionally dealt with Crucial for this type of upgrade but it appears there is no compatible SSD (500+Gb) for my MBP. Does anyone have any GOOD alternatives for Crucial's SSDs?

Thank you.

2. ClaveMan macrumors member

ClaveMan

Unfortunately you can't upgrade a MacBook Pro Retina in any way. Thus you need to max it out if you are a power user. Mine listed for $3199 in Dec 2013 with 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM, high end CPU, Graphics etc. All soldered to the motherboard (forever).

I didn't realize it, but the 1TB, $700 SSD drive hard soldered to the motherboard inside my 3 year old MacBook Pro 15 wRetina Display was bad (or the controller is bad). How do I know? My MacBook Pro crashed 10 times a month -- through 4 operating system upgrades and several rebuilds. Nothing worked.

Then I bought a Samsung T3 SSD and started running my macos Sierra in tethered mode (my main drive is connected via USB). In 2 months there have been 0 crashes. The Samsung T3 saved my $3200 MacBook pro from being a brick..

Sure.. Being tethered is like a ball & chain -- but hey.. the "ball" weighs nothing (and the cable is under no strain).

In any case.. give the Samsung T3 SSD a look. The speed is amazing (about 400MB/sec compared to 30MB/sec for a typical 5400 external drive). It's about $180 per 500GB. The prices are linear -- a 2TB is the price of two 1TB drives and 4 times the price of a 500GB. The Samsung T3 drive also features hardware encryption (much faster than FileVault 2 which uses your CPU and RAM to encrypt decrypt data to/from a drive).

3. chscag macrumors 68000

I believe the folks at OWC (www.macsales.com) sell a replacement SSD for your 2013 Retina MacBook Pro. Check with them first.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

IIRC, you are limited to the OWC Aura, several of the SSDs used in the Mac Pro like the SSUBX, and the products from MCE Technologies. Because the cost of going to 1TB was between $600-1,000 with what I was looking at during the time, and the reviews for MCE/OWC were not all that consistent, I went with Thunderbolt storage instead.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Uhhh the SSD in the rMBP is removable, the Touch Bar models are the only ones with a soldered SSD.

6. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Thanks everyone. I'll make some calls tomorrow to order.

7. maerz001 macrumors 6502

It is not soldered! Only RAM but not SSD.

Just buy a OWC drive and u are good to go:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2013-2014-2015

8. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Per your recommendation I bought a 480GB aura from OWC. Great product. From the time I opened the box, plus the time to do the SIMPLE install, to the time I completed the restoration on the Aura was less than an hour! And it works great!

Thanks!

9. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Filevault 2 uses intel's hardware functions for en/decrypting, and has since the 2011 or 2012 intel CPU update that added the new functions to their CPUs.