Looking to uprade Ram in Macbook Aluminum 13" (Late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by snarestud940, Feb 6, 2012.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I have a macbook that was the first aluminum macbook made. I have 2 GB of ram and would like to upgrade it. I don't know anything about it. How much can I upgrade to? Is it safe to put another memory in that isn't apple's? and when I do it, and click onthe apple icon and go to about this mac, will it still say 2 GB? or will it change and recognize it on its own? or do I have to change it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to all this upgrading stuff. Thanks in advance everyone!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)
    Apple doesn't make RAM, so any compatible RAM you add will be fine.
    When you boot up with the new RAM installed, your Mac will recognize it. There's nothing more you need to do.

3. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I have that same machine running 8gb ram no problems. It should be noted that I am running Lion, and I seem to recall Leopard only supporting 4gb.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL. Not true. Leopard, SL and Lion can currently support up to 64GB, mostly due to current hardware limitations.

5. simsaladimbamba

Even Tiger could at least support 8 GB RAM on a PowerMac G5.

6. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys. I was thinking to go up to 8 GB. Is this possible? and will I notice a difference? New to this. Sorry.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the first links I posted, you can find the maximum RAM for your model. As to whether you'll notice a difference, it depends on your usual workload.

Many say RAM is cheap, so get as much as you can, even if it's not needed. However, RAM prices continue to fall, and if more isn't needed now, waiting to buy at a later time when it's actually needed will probably result in a lower price.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

8. snarestud940 thread starter macrumors 6502

and yes i have lion. what i'm basically trying to say is, I don't intend on getting a new laptop of any sorts for quite some time. I've had this 3 years to date and in my opinion, it still runs like the first day I got it. the only problem i've had is that i needed a new battery. will this expand the life of this macbook? and make it faster I will say? even though it very much satisfies my needs right now.

i only intend on buying a mac mini in a few months to replace my dell desktop. thanks guys!

9. simsaladimbamba

8 GB RAM is possible, according to the links you were provided with.
    And yes, you will see a slight to huge difference depending on what your computational habits are.

What is RAM? - measured in MB and GB

10. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Yes, 8bg is possible. The 4 and 8gb limits I was referencing were hardware limitations, not OS limitations.