Looks like 8.0.2 makes the iCloud Photo Library available to everyone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BrettDS, Sep 25, 2014.

1. BrettDS macrumors 65816

For some reason IPL wasn't available as an option for a lot of people on iOS 8 with no real rhyme or reason for who could see it and who couldn't. My kid's iPad mini's did not have the option, but my wife and I did.

In any case, I've updated all of our devices to 8.0.2 and I can finally enable IPL for my kids. Which is good because they were running out of space on their 16G devices.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Yeah, I just noticed it on my iPhone and iPad. Wasn't there on 8.0 or 8.0.1.

3. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

been there the whole time for me

(what is the difference between photo stream and icloud photo library anyway..?)

4. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

I think photo stream is still hosting the full size on your phone w/o enable photo library.

5. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

The gates are open. Here comes the 100s of threads with confused people.

6. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

so iCloud Photo Library is out of beta and available to the public?

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

It says "(Beta")"

8. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

oh but it should be on all devices that have iOS 8.0.2 and not limited to only some users like it was on iOS 8.0.0?

9. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I'm still having problems getting my photos downloaded from icloud to my devices (either optimized or full version) any picture prior to June of this year won't download. Can't click to see full size resolution... Just see an explanation point.

10. BrettDS thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think apple ever stated why some people had it and some didn't, nor was anything mentioned in the release notes. But like I said, I'm seeing the option now in devices that didn't have it before.

11. flashflooder macrumors regular

Just noticed the option for the first time. Makes me kinda nervous that they ask you to keep a backup of your photo library. I realize it's a beta, and having one is good practice. But still...

12. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Not sure why they're even making it available since there is no access on your Mac right now…

13. truelies macrumors regular

What? we will see Jennifer Laurence's new photos?

14. Razeus, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Razeus macrumors 603

I have my iPhoto synced on my phone, and now it wasn't to erase all the photos on my phone. I guess it's an all or nohting proposition. I won't be able to sync via iTunes anymore. I guess this is a wrap for iPhoto.

Edit: Well it removed the photos I had on there (not the ones I've taken with the iPhone 6 itself, but my iPhoto sync), but now it seems to be adding them all back via sync. The option in iTunes is no longer there for me to use so I'm not sure what's going on other than it's re-adding all my photos to my phone again.

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Dear God I turned it on and it says it has to delete 1200 photos. Whatever. I turned it on anyway and I'll let it do what it wants and see what happens. I still don't think even Apple knows what's going on.

----------

Well it seems to be done now and I've gone from 1200 photos to 37. Gee thanks Apple that freed up a lot of space for me!lol I think they're all backed up on my Mac. I hope. Maybe it's eating them too. I don't know if I care any more. Apple can just do with me what they wish.

16. Jimrod macrumors 65816

I am completely lost with how this all works because something that should be so simple seems to be so overly complex -

We have: Moments, Collections, Activity, Recently Added... If I open iCloud on my PC I see a small selection of random photos, some of which I'd deleted from everywhere (including Recently Deleted) so I've no idea how they were still available.

Seriously, who runs this and thinks it's good?

17. mikemch16 macrumors member

Sharing with my wife

Is there a way that my wife and I's phones can both back up to the same iCloud photo library or do we have to manually select photos to share with one another via a shared album? We have separate iCloud accounts but are both part of the same family in family sharing. Manually selecting them would be a pain...

18. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

So does this mean that if I enable it, all my photos are stored in the cloud?

Meaning that looking at my photos on my phone will use cellular data? Can we get a confirmation on that?

19. BrettDS thread starter macrumors 65816

If you enable iCloud Photo Library, all of your photos will be uploaded to the cloud. Once you enable it, you have two options.

You can select "Download and keep originals", in which case a copy will be kept on your phone as well as in the cloud. This means that you won't have to worry about using any data to view your photos, but you will need to make sure that your phone has enough space to hold your photos.

Or you can select "Optimize device space" If you select this option, once your photo is saved to the cloud it will only retain a low resolution copy on your phone. That way if you go to your photos tab you can still see all of your pictures and scroll through them without using any data. It also allows you to have many more photos available than you actually have space for on your phone. However, with this option if you want to view a picture or share a picture, then it will need to retrieve the full resolution version from the cloud. By default this will use cellular data, however, you can also disable cellular data for photos and then it will only do that when you're on wifi. Obviously the downside there is that you can only see the full version of your pictures when you're on wifi, but you also don't need to worry about extra data usage.

----------

If you have seperate iCloud accounts then you will have seperate iCloud photo libraries as well. You can set up a shared photostream and manually select photos to put in there, but there is no way to merge your iCloud photo libraries (short of using one appleID for iCloud, but that gets ugly in a lot of ways)

20. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

G

Great explanation. Thank you. Local storage on my iPhone isn't a problem, so I think I can utilize the first option.

My only other question would be uploading photos I take. Will the photos app wait till I'm on wifi as it currently does with photostream to upload new pictures I take? Or is the upload instant regardless of whether I'm on wifi or not.

21. BrettDS thread starter macrumors 65816

By default it will upload immediately whether you are on wifi or not, but again, you can disable cellular data for photos and it will then wait until you are on wifi.

22. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Looks like 8.0.2 makes the iCloud Photo Library available to everyone

Great. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. It'd be nice if the cell companies didn't cripple all these new features, but I can't afford to upload 50mb worth of photos every day over LTE.

O well. In all reality, I wouldn't need the photos in my laptop till I was on wifi anyways so this will work out.

Is there any other reason that the photos app would want to use cellular data or will turning that off only affect the uploading process of iCloud Photo Library?

23. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

My 1200 photos are still eaten. I kept hoping Apple would poop them back out into my phone somehow but that hasn't happened. I guess they went to enhancing Apple's cellular activity. Why 37 photos were left behind I have no idea. I guess Apple got full.

24. Razeus macrumors 603

I'm just going to use it for what I take on my iPhone 6. I'll wait for the desktop app before jacking with throwing my other photos in it. I want to see the darn thing will work before I pay Apple for storage.

25. caesarp macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how "download and keep originals" is different from what already happens without enabling iCloud Photo Library. Aren't my photos backed up to icloud now? It seems like photos and videos take up lots of my 5gb of iCloud storage. And if I take a photo on my iPhone it appears on my iPad, so isn't that via iCloud?

So someone needs to explain the difference between not enabling iCloud Photo Library (but with photo library set to back up under icloud in settings), and enabling it with the "download and keep originals" option.