Looks like all the iPhone 5 (4s) rumors were true

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johndallas999, Jun 8, 2011.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

No new phone announced at WWDC for the first time. Seems like it's getting harder for Apple to keep their high secrecy standards alive as thier popularity rises. I'm glad that we are getting more reliable and accurate rumors about Apple products.

2. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

What?

This thread doesn't make any sense.

3. pyro008 macrumors 6502

What about the rumors that it would be announced at WWDC?

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I believe Apple meant to let everyone know that this year there will be no focus on iPhone hardware at WWDC. It wasn't rocket science. This had nothing to do with Apple keeping their secrecy, as we still don't have any knowledge on the upcoming iPhone 5, other than a 8MP camera and A5 Dual Core processor.

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

agreed.. if anything there is less info than in the past. really, we know nothing other than A5, which is more of a probable than a rumor. the only other rumor that will surface for sure is the 8 mp camera.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Fixed that for you ;)

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I think you really had to be blind to think Apple would release the fifth iPhone at WWDC...

1. They released a Verizon barely 4 months ago
    2. There was no iOS 5 event in March/April
    3. They made a big deal about releasing the white iPhone just a month ago.

Once Apple released a new version of the iPhone in February for Verizon, it was clear the course would change.

You really don't think that they would screw over their new Verizon customers (who are locked in 2 year contracts) with a new phone 4 months later, do you? Same goes for the white iPhone - they made such a big deal about it; they wouldn't want a customer to buy a newly released white iPhone 4 & have a new phone a month later.

And since every iPhone has been released along with a new iOS, how could they release a new iPhone if iOS 5 hasn't been showed to developers? They wouldn't.

Also, people said "They can always announce iPhone 5 but wait to release when iOS 5 is done in fall" - you think Apple would want to lose current iPhone 4 sales over the next couple months? Nope.

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

9. icstars989 macrumors member

That would be the worst move possible and makes very little sense.

Lol, look at the source.

10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Not to mention that just doesn't seem like Apple. Jobs hates multiple skews and versions. This rumor smells fishy.

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have to admit I was kind of surprised at the timing of everything. At first when the Verizon iPhone came out I thought how stupid some people were to get it, knowing there would be a new iPhone come June. But I was wrong about that as a lot of others were. I guess you just come to expect it after the past few years. But with the Verizon iPhone and now the white iPhone 4, plus the "delayed" release of the next generation iPhone, a lot of people are able to get what they want now and not be penalized for getting what they want later (perhaps september).

I do hope we get a new iPhone this fall. If for no other reason than my home button is starting to get weird on me!

12. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Irrelevant.
    Legitimate point.
    It was supposed to come out like a year ago. They wouldn't base the next generation's release date on a ridiculously delayed old model.
    What? So its going to be 2 years til a new iPhone to appease Verizon customers???

The same goes for White purchasers. They know full well how old the 4 is. They will not delay the next generation because they released a new color (that was supposed to be out long ago).

There isn't a lot of historical data to go by. And even if you try, it falls apart because iOS was not announce in March/April, and the phone was not announced at WWDC, so historical data cannot be relied on. However, it is a good indicator that the iPhone would not be released as soon as previous generations.
    Basic Econ. Drop the price to the new equilibrium, or lose sales from people who (rightfully) do not want to pay original retail for year old tech. The people who want to wait will not "cost" you anything because those lost sales will be deferred until the iPhone 5 comes out and they purchase it. Unless you believe that people will buy both the iPhone 4 now and purchase a 5 (ostensibly at full ooc price-ridiculous, I know) when it comes out simply because the announcement that a fall release date is official.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

But that doesn't really work out. The iPhone 4 specific sales would go down, for anyone who wanted to buy an iPhone 4 if they announced the iPhone 5 early. The iPhone 3GS sales plummeted when the iPhone 4 prototype was leaked.

14. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Are you saying that the revenue lost from sales not made on the 3GS was not recaptured with iPhone4 sales?

15. FSMBP, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You try to disprove my logic, but in the end, my logic was right. It's not like my theories were outrageous - it was just common sense.

Don't try to be smart saying "What, are you saying they're not releasing a new phone for 2 year" - you know exactly what I mean - they never planned to release iPhone 5 in June 2011, which was a close date from Verizon's iPhone 4.

Just look back at what happened when Apple dropped the original iPhone's price months after it was released - that's not good customer care, hence the $100 gift card given to customes.

And my theory that Apple wouldn't release an iPhone with a new iOS is, again, right. You think at some point in the iOS release cycle that they will be releasing a new iOS in the middle of an iPhone cycle?

Also, your last point lacks Finance 101. Lost sales = lost sales for the quarter - and I used to share the point until I realized the true implications of pre-announcing a product months before the release. Let me know when you've reported low quarter sales to your shareholders and come back "But they sales will be made next quarter with the new iPhone - I promise!!!"

Again, in the end, my ideas (along with many others) pointed me in the right direction. And you can bookmark this page, my next prediction = iPhone 5 will be released this fall with iOS 5 (within weeks of each other).