Looks like Cali residents get to keep their mags.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I certainly hope the law is upheld, but it seems reasonable to grant an injunction to give time for it to work its way through the court.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Dumb freaking law. If liberals would fight for better gun control with some sense, they might actually get somewhere.

Reactions: jkcerda

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
:p

Seriously though. Ammo mags.
California government can't force the surrender of high capacity magazines.
Judge ruled it violated constitutional protections on property rights and the 2nd Amendment.
But can they cap the capacity on new mags?

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
... California government can't force the surrender of high capacity magazines. ...
I'm a lifelong Californian ... and relatively aware politically.

But I don't recall any law that called for the forceful surrender of high capacity magazines.

Are you saying there was one?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
There actually is a checkpoint on the 10 heading into Cali, right before you get into Blythe. It's only random though.
NEver been checked.
I'm a lifelong Californian ... and relatively aware politically.

But I don't recall any law that called for the forceful surrender of high capacity magazines.

Follow the link.

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016

Grandfather laws. If I remember correctly there was an assault style weapons ban in Cali during the 1990's. However people who had them fell under the grandfather clause and where able to keep them.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Haha. It's actually an agricultural inspection site. California is very picky about protecting it's crops.
I haven't been asked about fruits and veggies in over 20 years.
I remember the fruit fly days.
[doublepost=1498792098][/doublepost]

The law the judge just stopped was slated to go into effect this Saturday.
It required anyone who owned a high capacity magazine to dispose of them by either surrendering it to the police (no compensation) or sell it to a non resident by July 1st 2017. It made possession a crime.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
... The law the judge just stopped was slated to go into effect this Saturday.
It required anyone who owned a high capacity magazine to dispose of them by either surrendering it to the police (no compensation) or sell it to a non resident by July 1st 2017. It made possession a crime.
Okay. But without getting too lost in semantics, you used the term, "force to surrender," when nobody is forcibly going to be made to surrender their magazines. The cops aren't going on house-to-house searches, and the fine for possession is as little as $100 per magazine.
[Kern County Sheriff Donny] Youngblood, who is immediate past president of the California State Sheriffs’ Assn., said his deputies would not be going to homes and businesses with the primary purpose of searching for the outlawed magazines, even if the law had not been blocked.

“If they show up in an investigation, they could be a tool for further investigation,” he said.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-large-capacity-magazines-gun-law-blocked-20170629-story.html

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Okay. But without getting too lost in semantics, you used the term, "force to surrender," when nobody is forcibly going to be made to surrender their magazines. The cops aren't going on house-to-house searches, and the fine for possession is as little as $100 per magazine.
Technicality really.
When something is suddenly deemed illegal to own, you are pretty much forced to surrender it or become a criminal.

Reactions: webbuzz and jkcerda