Looks like IOS 5.0.1 didn't help me.*****UPDATE****

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Offshore1, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Offshore1, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

Updated to IOS 5.0.1 and "so far" it looks like my battery drain is worse.

My 4S didn't have the huge drain like others, but was not real good.
    Now after the upgrade, it looks like the battery drain is worse. Sitting on my desk - un used, battery went from 30% to 26% in about 2.5 hours. Before update, it could last 4 hours before any drop at all.

UPDATE took iPhone to genius bar. They said battery was ok, but useage and standby times we not good, so they gave me a new phone. The new one has IOS 5, I don't plan to update again until they sort out the issues.

2. fins831 macrumors 6502a

You cannot judge your phone from a battery that is already low after a new update, the battery needs to be recalibrated after every new OS update, so it might be time to let it die, turn off, plug it in, and fully charge...

then judge it.

A 2 hr window is so miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

This.

OP, the battery needs to be recalibrated, lol.

4. Leslie Tan macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I m having the same issue with op. looks a little worse than before. Hope the full recharge cycle helps later. Gotta test it again. For now the update is not looking good.

5. matty.p macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that thinks a 4% drop in 2.5 hours isn't that bad at all!? I mean that seems completely normal to me.

6. fins831 macrumors 6502a

We cannot understand what has transpired in those 2.5 hrs...how many emails were pushed, how many notifications occurred...all this drains battery...

not to mention a recalibration and recharge cycle is needed with any new OS update....

7. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Agreed!

The op doesn't say what his settings are, but says it was "un used" which could mean it was getting low carrier signal which can drain battery, it could be uploading diagnostics to Apple, who knows? But on a simple level, if the phone is on, I'd expect that much to drop, especially on a phone that's not recalibrated.

8. Offshore1 thread starter macrumors regular

Offshore1

Will do a recalibrate, however when I did the original post, battery went from 23% to 20%. :(

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Don't need to recalibrate anything. Hard reset, charge to 100%, see how it goes.

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Darn, Just re-calibrated yesterday

11. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Is my math wrong, or is a drop from 30% to 26% in 2.5 hours a loss of 4% battery every 2.5 hours. Wouldn't last 62.5 hours? That is more than mine has been getting.

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Right. 4% loss in 2.5 hours = each hour the phone loses 1.6% so it would last 62.5 hours. (100% / 1.6=62.5). That's assuming it's constant draw.

13. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed much of a difference. I know it needs to re-calibrate, but I am going back to turning the percentage off and just enjoying the phone. I'll plug it in when the bar turns orange.

14. apprunner macrumors regular

This might not be completely true due to the OS being updated only incrementally. Its not as if you restored the entire OS and then restored from backup. All you did was update the files that needed replacement.

15. richarddwyer10 macrumors newbie

I have 2 4s's one has good battery the other had a bad drain for 7 -10 days then it settled down and is now identical to the other . I've just updated both and will see how it goes

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

sounds like the OP can't handle having the battery % displayed and needs to turn it off

17. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

What's with all the re-calibrate? Not needed and does nothing.

18. JNaut macrumors member

I'm not the OP, but I wish I could turn it off -- the setting just doesn't work at all. No matter on or off, it always shows the percentage. Annoying. :/

19. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

the update did well for me. 6hrs standby, 1hr use - 98%

20. fins831 macrumors 6502a

i find it funny, 30 min use, 94 percent, however i bet i have to recalibrate, 100 percent lasted forever, this 5 percent just dropped so fast.

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Same issue. My iPhone is hot in my pocket since the update and is currently at 10% from hours ago. Location services are mostly off, nothing has changed since the last OS. And now it is at 9% since I started typing this...

23. Offshore1, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

Offshore1 thread starter macrumors regular

Offshore1

No I don't. I don't obsess about these type of things unless something is highly unusual. This is. Have had iPhones since 3G and always had great battery life.
    Had ok battery on IOS 5.0. They wy I use the phone it would last 3 - 4 days. My IP4 would last a 5 days +.

I have on Bluetooth, location, wifi, great signal strength - No auto email, no notification, and I am pretty good about closing all apps in back ground.
    I other words, I am not a heavy user at all.

Guess I am not alone:
    http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/10/users...ain-quickly-after-this-mornings-5-0-1-update/

24. v0n macrumors member

Close all your apps by double tapping home button and closing manually via (-). Then full restart, as in - shutdown then start. It's a test thing - I know you guys just rebooted when system was updated, but for the sake of testing - just do it. Report in few hours if accelerated drain stopped.

I described my theory in this thread, as far as I can see, 5.0.1 did very little if anything to fix rogue polling and connections creating battery drain and, what's worse, data drain, and instead simply stopped system data activity from showing as usage on the stat page. Maybe the boys at apple were too focused on closing jailbreak hole this time around?

Oh, and there are few options in Mail,Contacts,Calendar-> Fetch New Data -> Advanced for you to play with to additionally save some battery in the meantime.

25. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Since when does an iPhone need its battery recalibrated after an update? I've never heard this before and Apple doesn't even mention calibrating iPhones on their website (http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html).

In fact, I'm pretty sure all iPhones never need calibrating. On a related note, non-replaceable batteries in Macs don't need calibration and Apple says so on their site. They use the same tech as in iOS devices. See 'Portables with built-in batteries': http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490