Looks like someone might be able to save this election after all!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Jan 9, 2008.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

NEW YORK - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has quietly been polling and conducting a highly sophisticated voter analysis in all 50 states as he decides whether to launch an independent presidential bid, associates said Wednesday
    The exhaustive data collection started months ago, and when the review begins shortly, it will provide the data-obsessed billionaire businessman with the information he will use to decide whether to make a third-party run for the White House.

The scope of the research, details of which were revealed to The Associated Press, demonstrates how seriously Bloomberg is considering running for president despite his almost-daily denials that he isn't entering the race. The extensive coast-to-coast research effort shows that Bloomberg is willing to dig deep into his wallet simply to gauge his chances of winning and lining up the proper support network.

"They want a hard-headed sense of their chances," said Doug Schoen, who spearheaded Bloomberg's voter database efforts, known as microtargeting, for his two mayoral campaigns.

Bloomberg's spokesman Stu Loeser declined to comment.

Schoen says he is not working for Bloomberg now, but he is part of the mayor's inner circle and makes a convincing and well-researched case in his new book, "Declaring Independence," about how a third-party candidate such as Bloomberg could run for president and upset the election this year.

Schoen was widely recognized for his microtargeting work in Bloomberg's first campaign. It was considered a groundbreaking concept in 2001 to gather and use information on individual voters, rather than voting blocs, to tailor and tweak the campaign message, advertisements and overall theme.

The Bloomberg database being created nationally would also be used in those same ways if he were to run, Schoen said. But for now, it will serve as the basis of gauging potential support for a bid.

Using the microtargeting model, research firms working for Bloomberg are gathering comprehensive information on voters throughout the country, such has who owns a home, has children in college, where they vacation, type of car or computer and past political support. All the puzzle pieces will then be arranged to create a picture of each individual.

Most of the data already exists in commercial databases that the multibillionaire Bloomberg can simply purchase. It will then be analyzed to determine how each voter fits into several categories: "strong supporter," "persuadable supporter," or "potential volunteer."

Bloomberg's public denials of any interest in running are getting weaker; he typically says only that he is "not a candidate."

On Monday, he participated in a bipartisan summit in Oklahoma that only fueled speculation about his interest in seeking the presidency.

William Cunningham, who worked on Bloomberg's mayoral campaigns and was communications director during his first term, said it makes sense that Bloomberg — who founded the financial information company, Bloomberg LP — would gather voter information in this way.

"The mayor has both built a business and managed the city by using data and analyzing it, so it would seem to me that any other venture he gets involved in, he'd be analyzing and collecting data," he said.

For Bloomberg's campaigns in 2001 and 2005, he spent more than $155 million, and in both cases, poured millions into the development of his voter database.

The work that Schoen did in 2001 came as Republicans were also developing a similar concept, known nationally during the 2004 presidential election as "Voter Vault."

Now, mictrotargeting has now become a crucial tool for political campaigns.

The obstacles to a third-party victory are enormous, but Schoen argues they are not insurmountable.

Previous independent bids such as those by George Wallace, John Anderson and H. Ross Perot faced problems of money, organization and ballot access that someone like Bloomberg could more easily overcome.

The 65-year-old mayor already has the money — Fortune magazine estimates his worth in the neighborhood of $11.5 billion, and others have speculated it could be double that.

Next comes organization, and Bloomberg operatives believe they could recruit a million volunteers within a month of launching a campaign, aided by information gleaned from the voter database.

A major task for the volunteer force would be doing the ground work to get him on the ballot — a tricky process that differs wildly by state.

The first deadline to get on a state ballot is May 12 in Texas, and petitioners can only begin collecting signatures after the state's March 4 major party primary.

So far, the surprise outcomes of the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary have added urgency and strength to the Bloomberg operation, Schoen said.

"The uncertainty in the nominating process on both sides makes it more likely that Mike Bloomberg will explore a candidacy," he said.

Sadly it looks like the election will end up being between Mr. 9/11 and the Queen. So Mike Bloomberg might be the best alternative. Plus if he wins, it would really stick it to our lousy two party system! Also, unlike most other independents who have ran in the past, he actually does have a chance because he has the resources and personal wealth to run a successful campaign!

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is Bloomberg really on level with the american people. He is uber rich and I don't know if he is the best man for the job. Not saying he wouldn't be good but is he what the people want. Do we need another rich person in charge. I want average Joe, someone that has lived the issues. Every NY press conference I have seen makes him look too stuffy.

3. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

Well at least Bloomberg dosen't come from a wealthy family. He is a self made man much like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, or Donald Trump. I have a lot more respect for wealthy people who achieved that status without the backing or inheritance of a wealthy family.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree completely with that statement. I have some friends who've come from nothing and become extremely wealthy, and good for them. It's very admirable.

However, in Bloomberg's case, I fail to see exactly what he learned from that. NYC continues to be sterilized to the point that it's becoming unrecognizable. Many creative and middle class people have been forced to move to Brooklyn, but more have had to leave the city entirely because of how expensive it's become. It's a very noticeable trend that should be more alarming to more people, but sadly isn't. I don't want to see Bloomberg President anymore than I want to Giuliani. I've seen nothing positive from either of them.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Does Bloomberg realize that with the exception of people that are aware of the Wallstreet movers and shakers that no one knows or cares about him outside of NYC?

Well, he isn't going to be stealing any conservative votes, so I say Go For It!

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

One problem: Michael Bloomberg is one of the worst speakers in American politics.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Didn't stop the current guy though did it?

8. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

agreed. he will take votes from the republican side, clearing the way for another clinton administration.

much like ralph nader, except in the other direction.
    bloomberg and the repulican nominee will bicker and attack each other while hillary just rides her way to the white house.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That wasn't the point I was making, I mean that a rich man in the white house doesn't care about the common mans issues. We need a middle class president that knows what the average person is going through. None of these candidates are like that.

10. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

well yeah i agree with that as well.
    we need a middle class person like hillary. ya know when bill clinton was sworn in, he had the lowest net worth of any president in 100 years and all types of credit card debt....just like the middle class.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

-Bizarro

12. Queso macrumors G4

Anyone else getting a bit creeped out by this idea of a billionaire compiling lots of databases of personal information into one great big repository of knowledge about everybody, and then using that to run for President?

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Unfortunately, mildly engaging stupidity and sheer monotony play differently.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, he isn't going to be stealing any liberal votes either, so I say Go For It! too.

Makes you wonder where his votes will come from though, doesn't it?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Based on recent polling, it looks like nobody.