Looks like the next iPhone will go on sale Tuesday October 4th...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Jul 12, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/12/att-r...on-october-4th-perhaps-signaling-launch-date/

"A new tier of device will be created in AT&T’s phone database on October 4th (a Tuesday:) which will require a higher rate of insurance. iPhone (and other devices) will move there on the arbitrary October 4th date. It is curious that the iPhone was mentioned specifically and not other devices.

Seems about right...probably have an event in September sometime to announce it and then release it at the beginning of October.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

3 months until the apocalypse... get ready boys and girls ;)

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Dang that would actually be kinda bad. That means there will be no untethered JB until November probably at the earliest ... maybe longer given how long iPad2 took ... I was really hoping for an early September release for iPhone 5.

4. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Seems suspicious because it says "...iPhone and other devices will move to this tier..." whereas if it were a new iPhone it would have made more sense saying "...other devices will move to this tier..."

5. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Isn't jailbreakme.com untethered?

6. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Jailbreame.com wont work past iOS 4.3.3 in its current state. Apple will patch the pdf hole that allows the jailbreak. The iPhone 5 will be on iOS 5.

7. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

How sad if this is true. I was hoping for a late August or early September event, and for phones to go ship in the next week. Coinciding with the iPod event.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't know if it's just me or what, but I think people are reading too much into this. To me it seems like the iPhone being mentioned is just incidental, not a hint to anything coming. I still feel it would make more sense for Apple to release the iPhone during the iPod event in September.

10. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

11. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. It's also not uncommon for AT&T to mention the iPhone specifically.

12. conundrumz macrumors newbie

I'm still bothered that nothing was even mentioned at the June WWDC. Kind of took the luster off the idea of a new iPhone for me.

With the rapid advances that other manufacturers have done with their phones in just the last several months, iPhone will have to play catch up just to meet the competition.

The longer we have to wait, the more Apple will have to "hit a home run" to bring back the excitement.

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about. They talked a lot about iOS5. At this point the new features in iOS5 are out weighing most of the rumors of what a new phone will bring. Does it really matter if it is released late September or early October.

14. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Sucks for me as well. I'll be moving to Japan at the end of September and I'll need a phone right away, and want to stay on iOS. Considering that international launch will be +1 month or thereabouts, guess I'll have to make do with an iPhone 4, which is not bad but it sucks to buy something immediately outdated :(

15. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Glad you think so.
    I'm using iOS5 and there's really nothing there that shouldn't have been there a year ago.
    In fact I work with some of the hardest core fanboys inagineable and there isn't one thing in iOS5 that excites them.
    I've let them play with it and demoed all the new features and there's simply no Wow there.
    Not even the wireless syncing.
    That little white cable is just so universal now that living without it really has no appeal.
    Hardware is where it's at and to get the masses excited again there is going to have to be a new phone.
    Even if it's something as negligible as a relocated flash or an indicator LED.
    Apple could probably change nothing but the font on the back and there would still be lines around the block on release day.

16. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I read somewhere the event is set to be in mid-September, and since Apple usually releases about 1-2 weeks after they announce (is that right? I'm having trouble remembering XD) that would put us in early October.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That makes sense, why didn't I think of that :eek: