Looks like Trump is back to working with his new friends Chuck and Nancy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DakotaGuy, Sep 13, 2017.

1. 0007776 Suspended

Good, I wouldn't trust him to keep his side of the deal, but if he does and can get enough republicans to go along with it it would be great.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am starting to think that the problem was indeed Priebus

3. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well not only is Priebus gone, but so is Bannon and Gorka. Kelly, McMaster, Ivanka and Kushner are his go to people now. They seem like a much more moderate group and are probably advising him to work out some deals and get some stuff done. Over at Bretbart they are having meltdowns right now.

4. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

Well now he is denying working with them. The guy is just crazy

5. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

But InfoWars says he’s been getting drugged for months. Maybe it’s a reduction in KFC?

6. 0098386 Suspended

Oh gosh that news! Haha. I honestly cannot believe anyone takes that guy seriously, it’s so weird. News for weirdos.

7. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah. Trump isn't "leading". He's just a guy with no ideas and no principles, flailing around to try and find a way to make himself look good.

At first, the Republican leadership told him they could easily score some wins for him if he worked with them. Well, the Republicans had no cohesion, and Trump's own flailing helped to torpedo every single thing they attempted. So, Trump now turns to the Democrats. For the moment, the Dems have the advantage that they are a cohesive governing body, although without a majority of votes. So, they might have a chance.

However, Trump is already flailing again! Apparently, he couldn't stand the bad press from his Dreamers dealmaking last night, so he's already back-pedaling on that this morning. If he can't hold up his own side of any bargain, then there will be no bargains...

8. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

The guy has the moral fortitude of a volleyball and he is always knocked around by opinion.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There's been some back and forth, Trump didn't say he excluded the wall from the deal but also said he could wait for the wall (ie. It's not in this deal)

Trump can't really make this deal unilaterally anyways.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Oh no. They're both playing their own base :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    They agreed to make a deal.
    They didn't agree to a deal. That is, there is no deal but a very serious intention of purposes.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh I think this part is still on, they are merely quibbling over whether the wall is part of it, and Trump already conceded that he would get the wall later. He probably just didn't like them announcing "no wall"

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Trump is Janus-faced on this whole issue, I'd wouldn't trust him.

As the New York Times notes:

In a flurry of tweets, Trump wrote: "No deal was made last night on DACA. Massive border security would have to be agreed to in exchange for consent. Would be subject to vote."

Followed by, "The WALL, which is already under construction in the form of new renovation of old and existing fences and walls, will continue to be built."

To remind people, the current renovations to border barriers—in Naco and Sunland Park—were planned and appropriated under the Obama administration. (As usual, Trump is taking credit for Obama-era effort.)

Over the last month, DHS has given itself permission to ignore environmental laws in San Diego and El Centro Sectors, but has not actually built anything—San Diego is where 10 companies will begin building prototypes for a future wall, but nothing has been built yet. (Construction for prototypes will likely begin next month.)

All that said, Trump seems oddly willing to give up the wall.

And, considering that getting rid of DACA was one of his big election promises, it seems really odd that he's now willing to give up the wall, his other signature promise, to get DACA through Congress with Democratic help.

13. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, yeah, that is a charitable way to put it. :) I'd go with "he says whatever other people want to hear", myself. ;)

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Fixed for ya :)

15. MacNut, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump is using Twitter to make the base feel better. Everything he worked out with the Dems. will happen but he's mad he didn't get the spin he wanted.

16. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I get the feeling that Pelosi might be a bit more popular if she actually did say what other people wanted to hear. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Hmm. I'd be surprised if everything did work out; after all, the Democrats do not enjoy a majority in either the House or Senate, and Trump has proven himself to be of little positive value in pushing legislation forward. (He's been of negative value, in fact.) It'll take some fairly significant defections from the Republican side to make any progress.

Then again, I suppose "loyalty" has not been the watchword anywhere in the Republican party for a very long time... ;)

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think this is it, exactly.

Increasingly, I think that Trump was forced into the DACA issue by Sessions—and never understood what DACA was—and now regrets it.

Which means, there's yet another internecine war in the Trump administration, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

18. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

19. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No, the problem is the man at the top. If he can't think for himself and needs hand holding from a chief of staff, it says everything that is wrong with him.

21. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Still, a figurehead leader can be successful, if they have someone talented behind the throne to manage the ship of state. Trump 's problem has been that everybody knows that he cannot perform the job of President adequately (Trump even takes pride in his amateurish policy positions and dealmaking), and so everyone around him takes it upon themselves to make their own policy decisions.

This would have been fine if Trump could select an individual to be the true brains of his administration, but he's not one to settle down on a single person (particularly if that person then gets any airtime on the news). Ultimately, this has meant a lot of failed policies, a lot of turnover in his staff, and no clear direction. Heck, I think one of the reasons he's turned to the Democrats now is that his administration ( along with the GOP itself) is such a shambles that the Democratic Party looks like a well-oiled machine in comparison.

Trump can't fire Schumer, and he can't manipulate Schumer, and therefore Schumer is one of the last men standing who can get work done in Congress. While Trump continues his Stalinesque purge of the GOP, only Democrats are left to feed him policy positions that can give him "wins".

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I bet that’s very close to the truth.