Looks like we'll need to turn off 3G to save battery!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blueharvester, Jul 9, 2008.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

Having just read some of the reviews of the iPhone 3G it looks like the 3G drastically drains the battery. I think I will just turn off the 3G feature and use normal O2 network until I really need a fast connection. I do this with wifi too as I find when wifi is on the battery drains quicker.

Is there any wonder there are screws at the bottom of the new iPhone 3G, I think Apple are anticipating a lot of battery replacements and therefore want to make it as quick and efficient as possible.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Dunno what am I paying ATT $20 extra for!:mad:

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

if it is easy to change the battery, you may even start seeing some high density batteries appearing on ebay, like there are for most other phones - eg nokias

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am seriously considering not upgrading due to the shortened battery life. Hoping for more reviews before Friday.

5. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i believe you have a 14day return period as you're in the UK

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

We all kind of expected this though? It's a 3G chipset.

If it bothers you that much just turn off the 3G part when you don't need it, then you'll get better battery life than the original iPhone.

Personally I'm in the car a lot and have a car charger, so it doesn't bother me.

7. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

it would be nice if you could leave the iphone on the 2g network for calls, push email/notifications etc, BUT the iphone would switch to 3g for safari surfing, youtube, and other high-bandwidth requiring activities.

i wonder if an app can be written for this? probably not as I imagine it's a low-level operating system thing.