Looks like we're all eligible for early upgrades with no extension now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swy05, Mar 31, 2009.

1. swy05 macrumors 6502

As someone mentioned in another thread, anyone been on their account recently? It looks like we're available for early upgrading without a 2-year agreement extension. Or at least iphone/3g iphone owners. I'm confused.

If you go to the Upgrade options under your account, you'll see:

"This line is eligible for an early upgrade with no-commit equipment pricing without signing a 2-year commitment. Click the 'Upgrade Today' link to view your upgrade options."

Maybe, that new iphone is officially coming?

2. pavvento macrumors 6502

IMO all that means is that you can walk into an AT&T store and buy a phone from them without signing a contract, which means you buy it at full price without any subsidy.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

That was my interpretation. If I'm not mistaken there really isn't any other way to interpret it. I don't know what people are getting excited about. This goes for everybody, not just iPhone owners.

4. swy05 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's strange is that, that verbiage was never there before. I just saw it today in my account.

5. Turbunator92 macrumors member

does that not just mean that you can add another iPhone 3G to your account at an unsubsidised (sp?) price - it means that current iPhone 3G owners are eligible to take up the new AT&T offer on no-commitment iPhones.

6. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I'm planning to get a new iPhone if they ever come out but it would be tough to jump on it early if I knew I could save $200 and wait six more months until I was eligible for subsidized pricing.

They need to change the way this contract thing works if they want us to buy new phones every year. Maybe just offer a one year contract like the old days.

7. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

i think its 100 less?

my pricing was 399 8g, and 499 16gb. isnt it normally 499 and 599?

8. exhibit.b macrumors regular

This line is eligible for an early iPhone upgrade with reduced equipment pricing when signing a 2-year commitment. Click the 'How to Upgrade' link to view your upgrade options. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount for Early Upgrade to an iPhone on 06/03/2010

Thats what it says for my account.

9. pcorrado macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 3G and here is what my upgrade options say:

"This line is eligible for an early iPhone upgrade with reduced equipment pricing when signing a 2-year commitment. Click the 'How to Upgrade' link to view your upgrade options. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount for Early Upgrade to an iPhone on 03/12/2010"

So based on this and the text above it which read that iPhone requires a 2-year commitment - looks like I will have to sign a two agreement no matter what and will pa the early upgrade price (399/499) if I wanted to get a new one. However, if this is the case and the new iPhone offers significant improvement - I may be tempted, otherwise it looks like I will be skipping the next gen and holding out for the next model.

10. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Wait a sec, is the subsidized price not 199/299???

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Subsidized, new agreement (i.e. new contracts/people who have a full upgrade available) is $199/$299.

Current customers early upgrade is $399/$499.

No contract but locked to AT&T is $599/$699.

12. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

The key to the above though is "early upgrade $399/$499." You can be with ATT and have finished your two years and then get the phone for the $199/$299 price point as well with a new two year agreement. :D

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

bought the 3G on launch day, and am eligible for an upgrade on 12/12/09. This makes sense with AT&T's "good customer" 18 month upgrade plan, but doesn't give me much hope that existing 3G owners will receive any type of benefit on a phone that may or may not come out.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Mine says I am eligible for an iPhone at non subsidized prices. It tells me I can buy a 8GB for $399 and a 16GB for $499 with a two year contract. Guess that's what I'll be paying this summer when the new one comes out. I sold my original 3G from last summer a few months ago and started a new 3G contract on December 23.

I won't mind paying the $499 for the new one since it's so soon as long as I can upgrade.