Looks Matter!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 15, 2012.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

Like with members of the opposite sex, looks matter! they may not be everything, but they matter, and they matter to most people more than they'll admit.

I say this, because although I have been a loyal Iphone user since the 3G and loved it, since Galaxy Nexus and now the Galaxy S3 and hearing the buzz over some of the new Android devices, combined with a little bit of boredom of the ios interface after using it for a few years, I felt compelled to at least check one of these Androids out.

I was thinking of buying a Galaxy S3 on one of my AT&T lines and use it for a couple of weeks along with my new Iphone 5 and see how I liked it. I went to check it out at the AT&T store and I just thought it was an ugly phone!

And looking around the store, there are so many ugly, cheap looking Iphone competitors! They just don't compare to that premium look and feel of an Iphone. While hardcore technophiles may care a lot about specs and usability and not about looks, sales wars are decided by the casual consumer, and many of them choose Iphone on looks and ease-of-use.

If Samsung made a high quality, extremely sleek looking phone, Apple-ish looks and build quality (let's leave the lawsuits out of it, I'm just saying if they had a stunning design)...and combined it with Android Jelly bean I think it'd be enough to possibly make me want to switch.

It's a testament to Apple's design team that I still think the Iphone 4/4S is the best looking phone even after almost 2.5 years since introduction.

2. BoxerGT2.5, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Some would say you're nuts for paying $200-$800 for the looks of a device that's been playing catch up in many aspects of mobile tech the last two years.

3. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but never said I am paying JUST for the looks. But if I use the Iphone 5 and the S3 and decide they're both equal in terms of how I use the device in usability, or even if the S3 is slightly better in function...the looks of the Iphone 5 combined with the investment I've made in the ecosystem are key deciding factors.

Also, I am talking more to the casual consumer than myself. Millions of people buying the Iphone know nothing about specs and performance measurements or have the know-how to make many of the customizations that Android offers over ios.

I still plan to buy a top-level Android and use it with the Iphone 5. If I decide I like it better, I will return the Iphone. If it's too close to call, the looks might be a big factor.

4. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

I've never agreed with the whole "playing catch up" sentiment. Early adopters make up a tiny portion of society, so that right there tells me that cutting edge isn't always the best marketing strategy. Quality over quantity, yada yada yada. Additionally, I think that iOS is still cutting-edge, especially when you consider the crashes, poor memory management (Android users NEED an app-killing app; wow), and usually poor battery life. iOS negates those factors. Additionally, this arguments completely throws out A) the abundance of iOS apps, and B) the superior quality of iOS apps. Not to mention the deep integration with iOS apps to desktop versions of the app. Android simple doesn't have the symbiotic relationship between mobile and desktop that many iOS app do (or for that matter, iOS does in relation to OS X).

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I'm paying 800 dollars for the 32GB iphone 5 because 1) I need to load apps onto an iPhone to test it 2) Android + Carriers sucks.

I think if you lose the carrier bloat android would be better.

6. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

I agree. Which is why I believe the closed ecosystem that Apple has instituted provides for a much higher level of quality. Fragmentation isn't a problem.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well your one of the blind who can't see it. Not gonna bother.

You clearly haven't used android since gingerbread or before as anyone who is somewhat knowledgable will tell you task killers are a waste and not needed.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You can disable every piece of carrier software on a S3. Hell once you do they don't even show up in the app tray. Just an FYI

9. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Can't see what? Enlighten me, because you make it seem as though I am willfully ignorant, which I take exception to. I have used Androids. As a web developer, I use every OS out there, and many phones. Task killers are certainly not a waste, as they improve battery life. Sure, it could be a coincidence that they helped on every phone I owned.. but I don't believe in coincidences like that.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm not making it seem like anything, your doing a fine job on your own. You don't need my help.

http://m.lifehacker.com/5862994/real-world-test-show-that-android-task-killers-are-still-useless

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2440...ill_they_help_or_hurt_your_battery_life_.html

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to/923-android-task-killers-are-deadheres-what-you-should-be-doing/

11. Geckotek, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm gonna disagree, while he may be mistaken about the need for an app killer, you are a one trick pony that can only repeat your "playing catch up" mantra. But the thing is, nobody cares. Since the first iPhone with no 3G, it sells anyway and for good reason. I'm the original iPhone hater, but I've learned that Apple has a formula that works. You can sit back and whine and say they are playing catchup all day long, but it won't change the fact that Apple makes a great device. In many ways it is much more polished and reliable than the competition; not just in spite of, but BECAUSE they don't implement a lot of the cutting edge technology out there.

So keep saying they are playing catch up; a lot of us knew that coming in and accept it. Big picture? It's not an issue being a few months behind. We didn't miss much for very long.

12. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

It seems to me like you live in a box and cannot accept that others have different experiences than you do. How sad.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Indeed - Just because something has newer and more cutting edge technology & features it doesn't mean that technology and those features have been implemented well.

14. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

Not only the looks, but the user experience matters too. I tried an Android device (the Droid X to be specific) after using the iPhone for years, and found Android to be pretty painful in terms of ease of use and refinement of the OS. I came back to the iPhone with the 4S, and have also preordered the iPhone 5, its just a better overall experience. Great technology, great software, and the user experience is top notch.

15. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

NFC =/= Cutting Edge

There arent many vendors that use NFC and till then there's no reason for Apple to implement such a thing. And it's the only real difference between Android and Apple.
    Widgets don't count cause Apple doesn't believe in widgets, and thank God they don't.

What other features is the iPhone missing that it needs to "catch up on"...?

16. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

More customalisation.....incl. Gadgets. But yes that would cost battery life.
    Its awesome the way it is now.

.....although maps.....damn i hope the final version will be different...the current version is more like a test version.

17. Hydros macrumors newbie

iPhone looks good but the bezel is way to thick up and down.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They cut the top and bottom bezels a bit this time, but I'd like to see more in the future. Not sure they can with the physical home button in it's current configuration.

19. Hydros macrumors newbie

They could make it a little bit thicker. I would prefer a slightly thicker iPhone but without the ugly bezels.

It seems this time there focus was to make it thinner and kind of forgot the bezels. Iphone 5 also looks to tall with those thick bezels up and down.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I wouldn't say they forgot them, they are smaller than all previous iPhones. The home button is even smaller to accommodate the smaller bezel.

21. racer1441 macrumors 68000

This. I would have a much easier time accepting Android's existence if Google just made their own phone, period. Motorola, samsung, HTC, etc all have created this mishmash of crap for devices that are mostly subpar.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

But I can't spare 3 to 5 minutes to do that, my life is extremely busy. :rolleyes:
    I was hoping my Son was going for the S III, he opted for the new razr.