Loose/Clicking Noise When Tapping Back of iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cgentry, Sep 21, 2012.

1. cgentry macrumors member

Anyone else having this problem? Just got my iPhone 5 in and I love it, but I've noticed that, when I tap the back of it (or just pick it up, really), there is a clicking sound or something that sounds like a loose component. It's worst on the top right hand corner.

Thanks, friends.

2. randymac88 macrumors regular

Same as 4 and 4s, something to do with the accelerometer or something. They all do that, confirmed.

3. Kaidan macrumors member

Kaidan

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

5. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

No its not typical. Your sleep wake button has some play, causing this. This was a very common issue with the 4/4S. Some power buttons are very firm and some are loose. If it bothers you, exchange it.

The camera will make a rattle when tapped.

6. Eallan macrumors 6502

It's most likely the autofocus in the camera and nothing anyone else has suggested.

7. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

:rolleyes: Lets not make it worse by confusing people. This is a known occurrence with iPhone 4 and up.

8. Alex-Sykes macrumors newbie

Pushing my iPhone 5 on the front in the top corner will make a clicking noise. With my iPhone 4S before it did it on the rear corner opposite the camera. It's nothing to worry about.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

If I shake it vigorously I hear a faint click. It's the same with the 4S so I think it's normal.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

When I try to bend it there is a cracking noise ?? Does anyone else's sound funny when you try to bend it in half?

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

12. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

lmao!!!

13. sparkyms macrumors 65816

14. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Like others have stated, this has been the case with previous iPhones and is normal.

15. DArsenault macrumors regular

For me its the power button on the top. Lightly push it while you tap and it will stop. Once it breaks in it will be fine.

----------

Does vibrate sound different than previous generations for anyone else?

16. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Same thing happening to me with the noise! Maybe it will just go away.

17. trixnrice macrumors member

i do iphone repairs and housing replacements. Many if not all 4's and 4S's do it. its the autofocus in the camera. I opened up my iphone5 two nights ago, cause i had the rattling sound when i shake the ip5. there are no other loose parts in there, i isolated it (as expected) to being in the camera housing, more specifically the lens or rather plastic disk thats around the lens in the camera. Its free floating and loose, as it should be. However, some phones have it rattle more than others, as other iphone 5's i've played with only make the sound when tapped, not shaken. It certainly does not effect function of the camera though. So, if you feel that it bothers you, as it does me because i can actually FEEL and HEAR it every time i put my phone down, go ahead and exchange it. If not, keep it, there's no functional issue from my experience. Its up to you.

18. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

19. TannerH macrumors regular

I've tried about seven different iPhone 5s (not all mine!). And they all rattle.

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Thank you for your insight. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually taken the thing apart and seen what is happening. Too bad you didn't snap a pic using...your...new....iphone....wait....a....minute.... :D

Seriously though... most of us are just speculating. You seem to bring some experience to the table.

21. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Both my iPhone 4 and now iPhone 5 has this, it's the sleep/wake button at the top. It's slightly loose.

22. xcites macrumors newbie

23. pat067 macrumors newbie

clicking noise

when i shake my iphone 5 up and down i hear a faint clicking noise i heard it could be the wake/sleep button is loose? but when i hold down the wake/sleep button and shake it i still her it slighty, is this normal or should i get it looked at? besides that my phone works perfect(64gb version) p.s when i shake it side to side i hear nothing

24. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

Simple solution. Don't do it.

"problem" solved.

Seriously, in what world is vigorously shaking the phone considered any form of normal use?