Loose play in power button, normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueMoonForever, Jun 23, 2013.

1. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

I've had my iPhone 5 for about 6 months now, its perfect. My dad just got one and the power button on it is loose, wiggles. This results in a rattling noise. If you place your finger over the button and hold it down slightly, there is no such noise. I can wiggle the button with my finger gently. On mine, the button is very firm, which results in NO rattling.

I've also noticed this on a friend's iPhone 5. So my question is, is it suppose to be slightly loose or very snug? My dad said he can careless, but I am rather curious?

Thanks

2. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Should be snug

3. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

If you search the web you will find quite a few reports of power buttons failing on the 4, 4S & 5.

In fact, there's a lawsuit currently progressing about the issue.

Unfortunately my 4S button is on the way out.

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

He's not referring to buttons that go bad over time, he is referring to out of the box iPhone 5's with loose power buttons.

5. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

My apologies, I scan read it (ineffectively) and saw, "6 months".

If it doesn't feel right and it's brand new, I'd get it swapped.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

my new replacement device from a few months ago also has a loose button. its not too bad, but teeters on the actual button underneath. it doesnt effect my use of the button yet, but if/when it does ill bring it back.

7. iAndyPham macrumors newbie

My 4, 4S and 5 black had that problem. Even the power button jiggle too, but I couldn't care less. My curren 5 white is perfect out of the box.

----------

My 4, 4S and 5 black had that problem. Volume buttons jiggle too, but I couldn't care less. My current 5 white is perfect out of the box.

8. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I am not sure on the iphone 5 but on some of the 4 and 4S if you shake the phone you will hear the power button shake...

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Back when I got my 4S it had a loose power button. But I got it swapped out before leaving the store. The replacement was fine and still is.