Loose play in power button, normal?

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I've had my iPhone 5 for about 6 months now, its perfect. My dad just got one and the power button on it is loose, wiggles. This results in a rattling noise. If you place your finger over the button and hold it down slightly, there is no such noise. I can wiggle the button with my finger gently. On mine, the button is very firm, which results in NO rattling.

I've also noticed this on a friend's iPhone 5. So my question is, is it suppose to be slightly loose or very snug? My dad said he can careless, but I am rather curious?

Thanks

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I've had my iPhone 5 for about 6 months now, its perfect. My dad just got one and the power button on it is loose, wiggles. This results in a rattling noise. If you place your finger over the button and hold it down slightly, there is no such noise. I can wiggle the button with my finger gently. On mine, the button is very firm, which results in NO rattling.

I've also noticed this on a friend's iPhone 5. So my question is, is it suppose to be slightly loose or very snug? My dad said he can careless, but I am rather curious?

Thanks
Should be snug

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
If you search the web you will find quite a few reports of power buttons failing on the 4, 4S & 5.

In fact, there's a lawsuit currently progressing about the issue.

Unfortunately my 4S button is on the way out.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68000
Dec 28, 2009
If you search the web you will find quite a few reports of power buttons failing on the 4, 4S & 5.

In fact, there's a lawsuit currently progressing about the issue.

Unfortunately my 4S button is on the way out.
He's not referring to buttons that go bad over time, he is referring to out of the box iPhone 5's with loose power buttons.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
He's not referring to buttons that go bad over time, he is referring to out of the box iPhone 5's with loose power buttons.
My apologies, I scan read it (ineffectively) and saw, "6 months".

If it doesn't feel right and it's brand new, I'd get it swapped.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
my new replacement device from a few months ago also has a loose button. its not too bad, but teeters on the actual button underneath. it doesnt effect my use of the button yet, but if/when it does ill bring it back.

iAndyPham

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
My 4, 4S and 5 black had that problem. Even the power button jiggle too, but I couldn't care less. My curren 5 white is perfect out of the box.

----------

My 4, 4S and 5 black had that problem. Volume buttons jiggle too, but I couldn't care less. My current 5 white is perfect out of the box.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I am not sure on the iphone 5 but on some of the 4 and 4S if you shake the phone you will hear the power button shake...

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Back when I got my 4S it had a loose power button. But I got it swapped out before leaving the store. The replacement was fine and still is.