Loose power button/rattle on iphone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BPMCH02, Sep 23, 2013.

1. BPMCH02 macrumors regular

Just noticed today that my iphone 5s space gray model has a loose power button that slightly rattles...I found this is normal on the 5 but can't find anything on the 5s and want to know if I should return it?

2. profbobo macrumors member

Mine, my friend's, and the demo unit in AT&T here all rattle. I hope it's not normal; it's very annoying. I'm going to contact Apple about it when the phones become more available.

3. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem on my iPhone 5. Mine was a white box replacement because the one I bought had a bunch of dings on the chamfered edge. Lately, the button takes a few extra presses before the press is picked up.

My wife's iPhone 5 is perfect (bought it a few months after launch).

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. tharepairguy macrumors member

That's strange, all my iphone 4's and my 5s rattle has gone away when holding the power button. This would lead one to believe that my problems have been the power button themselves. When its resting on a solid surface and on vibrate only, it rattles out of control. It's just a really annoying "feature" i've learned to live with... :(

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

The 5 rattles, as well. It's a feature to get babies into Apple products. :p

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

It's not the camera, it's the sleep button. Every single goddamn iPhone I've ever seen has the same issue, including my 5s that I just unboxed. Eventually your finger grease and dirt and **** minimizes the rattling.

8. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

Same here -- every one I've ever seen has a slightly loose power button that rattles a tiny bit. Some more than others. I thought my 5 was defective when I noticed that, but I checked a friend of mine's, and it rattled too. Then I went to an Apple Store and gently shook a number of them (probably looking like a crazy person at the time). Same deal. And today, I checked out the 5S for the first time at an Apple Store. The loose button and rattle are still there.

Most people probably don't even notice it, but it's so strange that an otherwise flawless design has that weird quirk that they've never fixed. I have a 4th gen iPod touch with a rock solid power button. But not so much with my phone... It didn't really bother me, but I put a case that covered the power button on it and the rattle's completely gone as a nice side effect.

9. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Seems like we go through this every year. Yes the phone rattles, yes it's normal, yes it's the camera. :)

10. steilkurve macrumors newbie

Not the camera. No longer rattles when one holds down the power button.

11. EltonT macrumors member

EltonT

My guess it's most likely due to the first batch of 5Ses having bigger margin of errors in production. My first 5 that I got on launch had it, my 2nd replacement (just a few days after launch) had it, it was only on my 3rd replacement
    (3 months later) where I took it back for another issue, did not have the rattling issue.

12. Poly macrumors 6502

Yeah i have the rattling sleep button too!

But is your 5Ss home button a lot more clicky/noisy too?

13. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Got my first 5S two days ago. Realized it had rattling, so replaced it the next morning. The new one has rattling so I just admitted it was a manufacuring problem and brought it home...then I realized the new replacement had a louder clicking home button...that part I cannot stand. I'll be getting my 2nd replacement Wednesday hopefully. It better not have an extra clicky home button (because my first one didn't)

14. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

There are countless threads of people who have found that their iPhones have rattling power buttons or clicky home buttons. It seems fairly normal, especially with the new home button structure on the 5s.

15. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

That's what one would think. But it's not true. I got mine 2 days ago, my very first iPhone 5S. I had used it for several hours total and noticed nothing abnormal about the home button (yes, of course the feel is different). However when I replaced it (because of the clicky/loose power button) I knew within 3-4 presses of the home button that this one was different. Both a 5S but this one clicked a lot more obnoxiously. It sounded tackier; more like a plastic button rather than a very subtle one like the model I had less than 12 hours ago had.

16. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

The camera rattles in a lot of models, and so does the home button. This is just the way it is with the iphone. Every year we go through this, both problems vary from phone to phone, and some are louder then others, as well as some not exhibiting either problem, however those perfect ones may have a dead pixel or two, or be scratched out of the box....Lol, it's just the way it is with these phones these days. Apples quality control stinks and is just not what it was years ago.

Unless you have the patience and the hook up more importantly either in a corporate store or Apple to go through a bunch of iphones your going with the luck of the draw. With my 5 I went through about 7/8 brand new white iphones out of the box and every single one had an issue, whether it was a very loose power button, scratches on or around the chamfered edges, etc etc, perfection just wasn't there. So it comes down to are you ok with spending hard earned money on something that isn't perfect? Is what it is...

17. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

Had this issue on my iPhone 5 wasn't really an issue it was just there. I don't have it at all on my iPhone 5s.