Loose ringer switch and home button - iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 938092, Dec 29, 2014.

1. 938092 Suspended

My 6th replacement iPhone (other ones had a mixture of more serious issues) has a silent switch that rattles when you shake the phone. The rattle does not affect function and the switch feels relatively tight when using it normally but if you push it up and down in the other direction (not pushing it to enable or disable silent but on the other axis) it feels loose. This causes the rattle.

I'm not really sure wether to worry about it or not as it works perfectly fine and doesn't switch modes randomly and you can only really notice it if you put it down on a table or shake it. In addition, the home button is slightly loose when you place your finger on top and move it around a bit.

I'm reluctant to even consider returning it as my other iPhone 6's have had much worse issues like clicking screens, dead pixels, etc.

Should I just suck it up? Advice please! :)

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If you're on your 6th it's entirely possible they'll just get sick of you and tell you never to come back to the store (based on what others have said here).

I would certainly be annoyed. I have a bit of play in my home button. At this point I will be getting a refurb box regardless, so I'm in no hurry to replace it. If it starts failing or continues to loosen I'll take it back. It's slightly annoying but doesn't effect actual usage really.

3. 938092 thread starter Suspended

I got a refund each time, not exchanged and went to a variety of stores so I doubt it. I guess I'll just live with it though because there is a higher risk of another fault i I get another one.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I know some people have said they track purchases/refunds. I don't really know. If you don't mind going back I say do it. I have no idea how much more (or less) a jiggly thingy would bother you than me. :)

The 6 my wife has and the 6 my mom now has were flawless (knock on wood) out of the box. Your standards are either astronomical, or your luck is in the pits.

5. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

My ringer switch is wiggly in ringer but in silent its firm. It's hasn't got worse or better in 3 months and to be honest forgot about till I read this thread. Thanks lol...

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The phone will rattle anyway when shaken because of the camera (normal). Do not let anal retentiveness get the best of you.

7. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Not true. My sisters does not rattle near as loud as mine.

8. venividivigor macrumors 6502

When I take it to the Apple Store will they expect me to prove it to them? Cuz right now the switch seems fine.....

Also this won't affect my apple care + right?

9. 938092 thread starter Suspended

No, it won't. I think I'll just live with this issue because it only really is noticeable if you shake the phone or place it down on a table. The home button is slightly loose but I don't care too much I guess.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Means nothing. All iPhone cameras rattle, some louder than others.

11. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Point is irrelevant. My camera isn't what I hear rattling. My switch is. I can feel It moving as stages before also.

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

My mute switch is loose too. All other buttons are tight though, and as the screen is ok I decided that I wouldn't gamble on an exchange. On my iPhone 5 the mute switch, both volume buttons and the power button were loose so I consider it a loose button upgrade! #

13. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Is yours like mine when it's not loose if you turn mute on/off but if you push or move it on the other direction like up or down it is loose and if you shake it, it rattles?

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Do you go through life compulsively shaking your phone?

15. 938092 thread starter Suspended

I will now.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yes. I can rest my finger on it lightly and am able to move it slightly in all directions. It rattles if I shake the phone, but if I hold the switch and shake the phone there is no rattle. It's annoying to have a loose button on such an expensive device but I consider myself 'lucky' that there aren't other issues. I could have a loose mute switch, dead pixels and a scratch on the casing. Or a hardware fault. These phones are a lottery.

17. 938092 thread starter Suspended

I thought you said you had a loose mute switch... I do.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I do. I'm just saying that if I had exchanged my phone then the replacement could also have had a loose mute switch, along with dead pixels etc. It's too much of a gamble exchanging iPhones. If you get one that's 'acceptable' (ie not perfect) then it's a nervy thing to swap it for one which might well be worse.

19. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Yeah true. I'll stick with mine.

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Seriously, I think you should stop trying to buy an iPhone..... You won't be satisfied. Never.

21. nathan.kindle macrumors member

Loose button also but not really a problem for me.