Looting in the wake of the Boston bombing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have a hard time working up any outrage over pilfered sportswear.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's the fact that someone would take advantage of the bombings for their own gain is the problem.

It's a down side to our individualistic, " Every person for themselves" culture. Where cultures like Japan are more collectivists as seen with the earthquake a few years back. There was hardly any looting and everyone stepped in to help others.

4. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I saw another source yesterday (I'll try to find it later) said that most of the people in the video were taking the jackets to help comfort the victims. I tend to agree because sometimes I just can't let myself get too cynical about humanity.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Looting? This is hardly people stealing tvs out of stores. Even the story in the op speculates that people might have been bringing the clothes to help the injured.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That article is disgusting. Trying to smear good Samaritans trying to help those injured. I expect nothing less from Faux.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

From your own link sir....

8. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Would hold some water in my mind if not for the fact that most of the people in that video didn't seem to be in much of a hurry.

9. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Yup. Those people grab the stuff and then casually walk around. Not in a hurry to help people at all. Looks like looting.

10. Peace, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

edit : nevermind. I watched the video.

It could be anything. Free stuff.. Who knows.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They don't necessarily have to "be in a hurry" to help the victims who were actually injured.

Keep in mind there were also thousands of runners in the streets who had to abruptly end their race before getting to the finish line... these runners were all wearing very light clothes for the race, it was only in the low 50s on Monday, many of them were freezing once they actually stopped running. Lots of reports on local news of spectators and nearby residents giving clothes and blankets to runners. A lot of these people in this video were probably doing the same thing.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

First, I have no idea what www.myfox.com is...I'm assuming it is affiliated in some way with Fox News. That's ahould immediately set off the Bulls*** detector.

I don't know if we were watching the same video, but if it was the one embedded in OP...I didn't see people running away. The only indication of "looting" was in the headline above the video...said headline created by the never inaccurate, never sensationalistic Fox news organization.

Finally, living just outside of Boston, and watching the total saturation coverage by local stations on the ground, there was never any mention, or implication, or rumor of looting.

I think the title of this thread is incredibly misleading, and should be changed, or deleted.

13. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

No? You wouldn't be in a hurry if you were helping people that just got blown up?

:confused:

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You're not understanding what I wrote. Read the 2nd paragraph. They weren't the first responders helping the people who were injured.

There were plenty of people assisting runners and just other people in general who weren't actually injured in the bombs but still affected. The majority of runners wear just shorts and a tshirt for the race.. it wasn't exactly shorts & tshirt weather here on Monday. When the race was stopped, many of these people were cold and were given jackets and blankets by spectators, residents, and others on the street. People were no doubt grabbing these warmup jackets for this purpose (that's what they were there for to begin with anyways, for the runners after they finish the race).

The police had cordoned off the area by the blasts soon after and the runners who were finishing the race or stopped before finishing couldn't get back to get their bags with their belongings, extra clothes, wallets, phones, etc. Many of them grabbed whatever they could find to help warm up.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure, but the concept of looting marathon clothing after a bombing seems just as weird to me. You called them pathetic scavengers without even acknowledging that portion of your own link, which was the reason for my response.

16. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Seriously!! You really think the people grabbing this stuff was helping the injured? They are all checking the sizes of jackets, putting them down picking up different ones and non-chalantly walking away help the injured? They were all looking and checking out what they were grabbing as if they were at the clearance bin at a department store. But I see you would rather trust the comments people post on a yahoo news story then "faux" news :rolleyes:

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

No, its more trusting the local news sources who actually have people and witnesses on the ground over some baseless speculation from a hack national media agency that has already proved a handful of times throughout the past 2 days of covering this tragedy that they have zero credibility whatsoever.

Yes, there's a chance that some individuals in the videos were looting. But trying to lump them all in to a group and call them all criminals when the vast majority of them were just trying to help the runners & other spectators is not cool.

Trust me, I've had local news coverage on my TV non-stop for the past 50 hours now. They've talked about all of this and gone over it much more than some news station in DC that spent a minute of coverage on this and then moved on to something else.

18. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Lots of runners were left stranded away from the finish line with nothing to wear. Maybe they were bringing the clothes to those who needed to get warm after race, maybe not. Either way reporting this does not help in any way.