Los Angeles might be boycotting in the dark.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, May 19, 2010.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local-beat/Power-Play-Over-Immigration-Law-94251079.html
    Anymore bets on how long this lasts? :p

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This whole thing is a pissing contest by two reprehensibly irresponsible states, but for the sake of argument, legally, don't electricity regulatory structures prevent an electricity company from just "shutting off" paying customers for political reasons? I'm not sure on the legislation, but that kind of retaliation doesn't sound legal to me, anyways.

3. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Arizona likely isn't selling to direct consumers so I doubt they would have any legal responsibility, if this did happen I imagine Los Angeles would need to find alternate source of energy which is going to cost $$$.

4. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

A fat Monkeywrench just got thrown into the boycott. It's gonna be intresting to see what happens.
    Damn, AZ! They got us by the :apple::apple:'s :)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No they don't. I doubt they could legally get away with it. This just goes to show how desperate and crazy they are.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd like to see this actually happen. The consequences to this guy, the utility company and Arizona as a whole would be severe. Suddenly cutting a portion of the power to a major American city is not looked upon lightly by the federal government.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We could take Arizona with both hands tied behind our backs. ;)

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is it just me, or has Arizona just become completely unhinged? It's as if the entire state has lost it's mind lately.

And yeah, that would be interesting to see indeed.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think Colorado has been spiking the water with LSD.

Actually, Arizona's an interesting state because it's a both rapidly conservative and moderately liberal state. In 2008, Pima, Santa Cruz, Coconino, and Apache counties voted for President Obama, the rest of the state voted for McCain.

Additionally, although both Senators are Republican, we have five Democrats in the House and three Republicans.

10. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I hope you're right.
    And yes, they are crazy.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd be willing to pay a higher electric bill, just to show my support for the boycott. But the reality is that many, many others will not go for that. Even if they disapprove of what Arizona's doing.

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'd be willing to buy some electricity from Arizona just to show my sympathy for their illegal immigration problem that the Federal govt refuses to address.

To foster ignoring the law for the sake of politics...what a bunch of spineless d-bags we have in Washington.

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It's not just you, Lee... but you're definitely in the minority. Enforcing the law (especially laws with a strong history and a founding in national security) is not something which is normally considered to be "completely unhinged".

78% of Americans believe the U.S. should be doing more to stop illegal immigration. 64% of Americans support the Arizona Legislation, even though they admit it will have disproportionate effects on certain ethnic/racial groups (obviously).

13. Surely Guest

Surely

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The battle begins. We'd better start digging trenches!

Attached Files:

15. Queso macrumors G4

Tell Arizona that if it pulls the plug we'll let BP drill for oil in their state.

That'll teach them.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

They would not cut power to speak but instead cause power rates in the area to spike very high LA would have to go elsewhere to find the missing 25% of the market. Supply is reduced while demand stays the same. This means that cost will go up and my guess is quite a bit.

The boycott goes both ways and cutting them off on something CA is in high need of hurts. CA has been hurting themselves for years because all the laws they make is very difficult for new power planets to be built in the state. This means most of it comes from out of state and if they piss off enough they will REALLY be hurting for power.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Here are the facts

LA has partial ownership of a coal plant in Arizona called Navajo Power Plant

It has a legally binding contract to get power from this plant until 2019. That means if Arizona decided to cut off electricity to LA, it would be illegally breaking a contract and would get sued up the ass.

So this Pierce guy has no idea what he's talking about. He's trying to assert leverage on LA that Arizona doesn't have, legally or otherwise.

I work in utilities so if anyone has questions, just ask.

18. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I have a question, does that 25% consumption all come from this one Navajo Power Plant?

As for AZ becoming unhinged, the reciprocal nature of boycotts and trade barriers is well known the world around. I don't know why this is a surprise.

19. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Sweeeet! We win! Ok, maybe not yet, but score 1 more for LA.:cool:

20. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

It isnt the deed, it was the remark...and it worked....The new "civil" Civil War has begun.....California should be at least cognizant that the majority of Americans approve of the legislation and a national boycott of California would be devastating to an already devastated budget...

21. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I don't think it's as high as 25% but it's still significant enough that if something happened to the plant, homes in LA would get blackouts and refineries would shut down. Coal plants are a cheap controllable source of power so when they're in a utility's energy portfolio, they typically provide a big chunk of that utility's base load power.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just because people approve of it does not mean it's right.

23. Surely Guest

Surely

People always seem to forget that.......

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No, see when a large number of people disagree with you, it's because they're misguided. When they agree with you, it's because that's the right thing to do.

At least, this is what I've learned from fivepoint's posts.

25. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's fantastic. So we're basically saying we're willing to discriminate if we think it affects our pocketbooks. Very encouraging news for social progress.