Losing 3% every half an hour..normal battery life?

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok so i've tested that i've lost 3% in the past half hour with two e-mails and a notification from ESPN. Been in standby the rest of the way

I ask if this is normal as i'm at work with no 3G coverage so wanted to ask if this is normal considering it's looking for a connection. The e-mail is on push.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2011
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
You need to take the battery percentage with a dose of salt. It's like the gas gauge in your car - the amount of gas used from full to 3/4 tank isn't "exactly" the amount used from half to 1/4 tank.

My iPhone sits at 100% for quite a while, then declines pretty steadily through the day.

But to answer your question - a 3% drop in 30 minutes is not something, by itself, that would raise any concern.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You need to take the battery percentage with a dose of salt. It's like the gas gauge in your car - the amount of gas used from full to 3/4 tank isn't "exactly" the amount used from half to 1/4 tank.

My iPhone sits at 100% for quite a while, then declines pretty steadily through the day.

But to answer your question - a 3% drop in 30 minutes is not something, by itself, that would raise any concern.
I'm thinking the fact it is searching for a signal is the big reason that and pushing a few e-mails also....just wanted to get feedback really

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
You're looking at it too granular.

Charge your phone overnight, take it with you in the morning, use it 'normally' throughout the day, and when your settling down in the evening and ready to dock it on your nightstand, check it then.

Get a running average, because your usage will vary, and you don't need to check it everyday. I only do it once in awhile, and at that I usually don't even screenshot, yesterday was an exception because another buddy of mine was curious a few days ago and I finally remembered. Think of it like occasionally checking your oil when you fill your gas tank.

e.g. mine from yesterday.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

offcamber

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
USA
My usage and standby are only minutes apart.
I'm not using the phone. Just checking usage every hour.

3hrs, 2min Usage
3hrs, 17min Standby

Something continues to run while the phone is in standby.

This is after a full restore as new and no apps except what comes on the phone.

FRUSTRATING

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.