Resolved Losing so much battery overnight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audix, Jul 29, 2012.

1. audix, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

audix macrumors regular

I have 4S and I lose so much battery power when I go to sleep and when I wake up the battery is always dead. How many times has this happened to you and is it normal?

I'm not feeling too good about this. These iPhones just can't stay charged.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Are you running an app overnight, which would drain the battery?

If not, try killing all apps from the multitasking bar and then do a restart of the phone.

That never happens to me, but once in a while the battery will drain quicker than usual and rebooting it takes care of it.

Why don't you plug your phone in overnight? I put mine on the charger every night when I go to sleep.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I don't understand all of the battery threads with the 4S...I have tried a lot of other smart phones and by far get the best battery with the 4S....getting a full day is a non issue =/

4. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Well because I didn't feel like reaching all of the way across my bed to charge the phone. I mean usually I wake up and then charge it, but if the phone is not even close to dead, has been on standby, throught the night then why would it go dead by the morning? A dead iPhone is the worst thing to wake up to.

Anyway, I charged it while I slept just last night. Woke up at 7 o clock, by 7:30AM 10% of the battery life was gone! Now it's 8:12AM and it's still decreasing!

How long does it take from when you buy your iPhone for the battery to go bad?

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

that is not normal..i unplugged my phone about 2 hours ago and still have 96% left.

6. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no :(

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I dunno. I used my 3GS for 2.5 years and up until a month ago when I sold it, the battery still lasted more than a day without a charge.

8. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Does being on Wi-Fi all day every day have anything to do with it?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope, it shouldn't. Mine is always on WiFi.

Do what I suggested in my first post to you and see how it goes.

10. audix thread starter macrumors regular

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

yes being on wifi will definitely drain your battery faster.

12. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Any any process running will drain batter power. However, wifi & 3G won't drain it at any major significant rate over night. Definitely not a complete drain over night.
    Disabling these will save some power though.

Since you're experiencing major drain over night. Check what you have running. Might be some runaway app or a setting.
    However I would more say that you should try a restore first. If this does not fix it the perform a restore as new. Try that for a few days.
    I'm 99% sure you'll see no major drain after this.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

exactly. It will drain it, but to be totally drained over night is not normal at all. Try all possible fixes and if nothing works take it to apple.

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

No. It will only drain your battery faster if you are not connected to a network. If the Wi-Fi is on, and connected to a network, it will actually make your battery last longer since it's not using cellular data.

15. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Make sure you have the latest version of iOS installed.You probably have iOS 5

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Here's hoping iOS 6 nips any remaining battery problems in the bud.

17. JAT macrumors 603

What is your cell coverage at home? The biggest "phantom" battery drain for any phone is low network signal, the phone keeps trying to maintain signal, draining battery like nothing. (10% in 1/2 hour is too fast for this, though) Also, sometimes apps seem to glitch and suck up battery. Doing a hard close on the recent list of apps can sometimes fix this. Any app that uses location or notifications heavily would be the most likely. GPS, Mail, etc.

18. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

How is the signal in your house? It is a bit flaky (bouncing between 0-5 bars) in our area inside the house, so I was losing 100% of the battery overnight. The trick was to kill most of the location-based services.

Settings / Location Services / System Services

Disabling Cell Network Search allows me to wake up with 95% battery life and no missed alarms due to a drained phone battery.

19. audix thread starter macrumors regular

Sandbox general's plan worked. I guess it was a hiccup. All I did was restart. It's 2:08PM now and I'm still at full power.

20. cynics macrumors G3

You don't understand that people may use their phones more then you? I get about 6 - 7 hours of usage time (about average) which is not a full day....

OP, there is something wrong with your phone. Take it too apple. But go to settings, general, usage and post a screen shot when the battery is low....

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Unless you have a double king this is one of the most terrible things I've ever heard.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Please mark thread as resolved, as the discussion has gone off topic and is now irrelevant to your original enquiry.

23. audix, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

audix thread starter macrumors regular