Lost in Space reboot launches April 13

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018
Dr Smith, along with Charles Nelson Reilly were the first "Openly Gay" characters on TV!! ;)

Reactions: Huntn

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
I'm the biggest Lost in Space fan around. Ask anybody. I absolutely loved the first five episodes of the original series and hoped the Netflix version would be a return to that sort of great storytelling.

But that's not how it felt to me. It was like watching a whole other show. I was so disappointed that I, the self-proclaimed Lost in Space fanatic, am not going to bother to watch the second season. I was let down by the ending of the 1998 film, then again when the Netflix version came out. After waiting 50 years for somebody to do right by the show, I just can't be disappointed a third time.

Evil gets my vote as a much better use of my TV time. (You want to see a truly evil character done well, watch Michael Emerson on that show!)

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We enjoyed Season 1. I’ll watch Season 2. I was disappointed by Discovery. Season 1 was great, but in season 2 everything they did was over the top.

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I'm a bit surprised this reboot hasn't gotten more attention. I was a fan of the original series at the beginning, but it became so campy, it was hard to take seriously. This version is much more in the sci-fi action genre. I just watched the first four episodes of season 2 and enjoyed them

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Four episodes into Season 2, all is not well, June Harris/Dr. Smith is despicable as ever. 😵 ;)
It’s interesting how a good evil actor can instill feelings of revulsion in the audience. :)

E854B161-6296-4E3F-A1AC-A06F75556B72.jpeg
Parker Posey​

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Four episodes into Season 2, all is not well, June Harris/Dr. Smith is despicable as ever. 😵 ;)
It’s interesting how a good evil actor can instill feelings of revulsion in the audience. :)

View attachment 889783
Parker Posey​
Yes, she's very good at making you want to hate her. I finished the second season not long after my most recent post and enjoyed it.

The big mystery from the season finale is where the kids' ship ended up. IIRC, mention was made of a single, yellow sun, so I wonder if they're back in our solar system and the Earth has been destroyed by the alien robot race.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

View attachment 889783
Parker Posey​
Yes, I remember watching the first season and hoping that she comes to a suitably gruesome ending. Haven't seen any of season 2 yet.

Reactions: rhett7660 and Huntn

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Yes, I remember watching the first season and hoping that she comes to a suitably gruesome ending. Haven't seen any of season 2 yet.
I have said it before, she is one of the characters that you want to see meet a very gruesome, painful, and utterly satisfying ending, if there is ever to be one. Season two, she lives up to and then some.

I won't spoil anything, but season two was good... I do wish they would have spent a little more time planet jumping though...

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Stop
-Season 2 spoiler-

Apologies for these possibly dense questions.
.Questions up through S2-E5: So there are two possibly three or more robots, one was found on a spaceship crashed on Earth and the Resolute was built around a navigation vehicle and the robot that came from it. And for some reason, captured broken robot is hostile and will no longer navigate for them?

And then there is Will’s robot, that he discovered in the vicinity of a crashed ship on an alien planet.

Then there is the (3rd?) robot that attacked the Resolute and Will’s robot later got into a fight with?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Stop
-Season 2 spoiler-

Apologies for these possibly dense questions.
.Questions up through S2-E5: So there are two possibly three or more robots, one was found on a spaceship crashed on Earth and the Resolute was built around a navigation vehicle and the robot that came from it. And for some reason, captured broken robot is hostile and will no longer navigate for them?

And then there is Will’s robot, that he discovered in the vicinity of a crashed ship on an alien planet.

Then there is the (3rd?) robot that attacked the Resolute and Will’s robot later got into a fight with?
Don't want to spoil it... all of these questions are answered and then some.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 2 viewing complete. My questions are answered, some events choreographed for character preservation seem a bit convenient, but overall I'm satisfied and look forward to season 3. :D

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I started watching the very first episode and I didn't last too long (about the time judy was frozen in the ice). It just didn't grab me, and I felt the lack of chemistry (at least up to that point) failed to draw me in.

I know its a little unfair as many shows start off shakey until they find their footing and what little I know of the story, does seem a bit interesting. I may try pushing through the first episode and see how it goes.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I started watching the very first episode and I didn't last too long (about the time judy was frozen in the ice). It just didn't grab me, and I felt the lack of chemistry (at least up to that point) failed to draw me in.

I know its a little unfair as many shows start off shakey until they find their footing and what little I know of the story, does seem a bit interesting. I may try pushing through the first episode and see how it goes.
It has a quality I like, I like the characters, but it’s not perfect, some of the situations seem stretched where the narrative kind of collapses to save the characters from untimely ends.

However it’s not as bad as the second season of Discovery where every episode (as far as I got ) was a barely survivable roller coaster ride which stretched credibility and my suspension of disbelief. The problem with too much over the top action is that it diminishes traditional climaxes making them, when they happen, have less impact.

Reactions: AngerDanger

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

As I recall, it took several episodes to get me hooked, which I now am. But I'm not a fan of the cable TV trend where 10-episode runs are released at irregular intervals, sometimes two years apart.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As I recall, it took several episodes to get me hooked, which I now am. But I'm not a fan of the cable TV trend where 10-episode runs are released at irregular intervals, sometimes two years apart.
TV series as far as content, driven by cable are not nearly what they used to be. It’s a different model which I don’t see it really saving money. If you have 1 series that goes 26 episodes in one season, versus 3 that go 8-10 episodes each, arguably it cost more money for 3.