LOST in the belly of the iMac whale - a piece of bundled software.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deGenova, Mar 11, 2014.

1. deGenova, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

deGenova macrumors newbie

I tried loading my older Canon LIDE90 scanner used in a PC but now I want it in my new iMac but there's no comparable driver for the 10.9.

So instead - there were a few pieces of the bundled software on that Canon disc that I wanted to load. One is MP Navigator EX 1.0 which loaded fine because its apparently still compatible w/iMac while the other "ArcSoft PhotoStudio" might not be compatible.

Was advised to try the 10.8 Canon scanner driver (which is Mac compatible rather then 10.9 which is unavailable) and it loaded successfully into the machine but I cannot find it anywhere and it doesn't show up in the Canon folder in "Applications." Pics below that indicate one sure success and one apparent driver success: Any help here? Thank you.

This is the one (10.8) that I cannot locate on the HD
    [​IMG]

This one I have OK.
    [​IMG]

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Try using spotlight to help find that file. I have a hp scanner and when 10.9 broke hp's scanner software the fix was to use the image capture.app in the application folder and that works.

3. deGenova, Mar 11, 2014

deGenova thread starter macrumors newbie

I just found it using iFileX on a tip from a member here in another thread (Mac search not too good) but when I click it it will not open. Not Mac compatible maybe?

Is there anything there that might be of use in terms of what you said?

[​IMG]

LINK Its free and its great.
    iFileX for Mac OS X latest version

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mentioned in your OP that there's no 10.9 compatible version and while the installer ran (which is really generic and not version dependent), it doesn't mean the app will run.

I suspect while you were able to run the installer, that's as far as you'll get :(

5. deGenova thread starter macrumors newbie

RIGHT - and the installer actually ran for the 10.8 iMac ver., which according to the guy on the phone at Canon, I would have to be running (10.8) for it to have installed AND run.

Of the bundled software on the scanner disc I was only able to load and run one of them - the others must not be compatible.

MP Navigator EX 1.0 loaded fine because its apparently still compatible w/iMac while the other "ArcSoft PhotoStudio" probably isn't Mac compatible and that's the one I really wanted in lieu of not being able to load the scanner disc itself, which would not run at all on my machine.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I gave up with Canon scanners a couple of years ago. Their support of new versions of OS X with older scanners is pretty poor. I got burnt twice buying canon scanners that were not supported by updated drivers. I now use Epson.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Give the "image capture.app" app in the applications folder a try. It works for my hp scanner (model g4050).

8. deGenova, Mar 11, 2014

deGenova thread starter macrumors newbie

No Dice ..........

Last login: Tue Mar 11 10:54:45 on ttys000
    /Library/Image\ Capture/TWAIN\ Data\ Sources/CanoScan\ LiDE\ 90.ds/Contents/MacOS/CanoScan\ LiDE\ 90 ; exit;
    Philips-iMac:~ philipdegenova$ /Library/Image\ Capture/TWAIN\ Data\ Sources/CanoScan\ LiDE\ 90.ds/Contents/MacOS/CanoScan\ LiDE\ 90 ; exit;
    -bash: /Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/CanoScan LiDE 90.ds/Contents/MacOS/CanoScan LiDE 90: cannot execute binary file logout [Process completed]

I finally learned (here) how to unhide the contents of the Canon disc in 'terminal' but that was no help either.

9. netslacker macrumors 6502

What about trying alternative software like VueScan? VueScan supports some 2400+ scanners and runs on Mac. It does cost money tho, but there's a demo you can try to see if your scanner is supported.

http://www.hamrick.com

PS, it appears your scanner is supported.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I've been using VueScan since Canon stopped updating the driver for my old but still working Canon scanner......took a little bit of learning the adjustments, but it works fine for me (maybe better than Canon's own software actually)

11. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

I use Preview with my Canon MP620 scanner. Works great. Just Open Preview and from the file menu choose import from Canon ????.

Attached Files: