Lost iPhone 4, Eligible for Upgrade to 4S, but was planning on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sampdoria, Jul 6, 2012.

1. sampdoria macrumors regular

I recently lost an iPhone 4 :(. I am eligible for an upgrade now :) but was planning to upgrade to iPhone 5 when it becomes available. I need a replacement in the meantime. It seems like my options are:

1. Find a replacement on Craigslist, eBay, etc. Pricing seems to be $350-$400 for a white 32GB iP4 in pretty good condition.
    2. Upgrade to a 32GB 4S with a 2-year contract price, $299+tax.
    3. Upgrade to a 32GB 4S with no contract, $750+tax.

Can you help me decide what is the most cost-effective way to go, if my goal is to get an iPhone 5 when ever it comes out and sell which ever I get in the meantime to recoup costs?

Thanks!

2. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

If you can't wait now... Buy a 4S on CL and use it for a couple months. Sell it then get yourself the new iPhone this fall. This is what I did...

3. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

Buy some off contract cheap phone for the time being.

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I would try my hardest to wait on the new one, but I know it would be tough since I had to use a BB Curve between the time I sold my 4 until the 4S was realeased. It was miserable. From now on I have my wifes old 4 as a backup for us, brkoen screen and all.

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

You could get an iPhone 3G or 3GS for cheap then get the new phone when you're ready. Craigslist or eBay seem like pretty good sources.

-C

6. sampdoria thread starter macrumors regular

The replacement must be an iP4 32GB at a minimum. I have many apps that I need to refer to on a daily basis (not Angry Birds)...

A 4S on CL or eBay goes for much more than 4, but maybe better re-sale value? hmm...

7. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Try to find a 32GB 3Gs on Craig list. I will be cheaper than a 4.

Or you can go with a small storage one which will be even cheaper and just carry the most essential app's with you until the new one is released.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

If your going to get the new iPhone in only a few months, why do you need to buy a temporary 32GB phone? Get a 16GB and save a few bucks.

Edit, oh saw your reason. I dont see how you can use that many apps dailey but oh well. Too bad Apple dont give you a external micro slot.
    Think id go Craigslist.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

buy a phone on contract and return it every 30 days till the new one comes out:D

10. sampdoria thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions.

My concern about needing 32GB is my iPhone Back-up might pretty big with apps and photos where if I get a 16GB and restore, the restore data might not fit on anything smaller than a 32GB.

My other concern about needing an iP4 as a minimum was I have some office related VPN stuff that my IT guy said only works on iP4 or iOS 5 etc (can't recall what exactly) plus apps that only work on iP4 I believe.

Thanks again. Do options 2 or 3 seem cost-effective?

11. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

If your on GSM pick up an unlocked galaxy nexus to hold you over until release and then when the 5 comes out you can decide what you want to do then. The nexus should have decent resale vs what you paid for it.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am almost certain the restriction would be with iOS5 and not with the iPhone model. I would confirm this if I were you. This isn't an attempt to talk you into a 3GS, but if you were ok with getting one I wouldn't discount it.

13. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

No...there are several options that are cheaper if your going to get the new iPhone later. Getting the GNex when it is sold again is less than half the cost of a 4S with no contract and even getting a GS3 is cheaper than a 4S.

If you must get another iPhone, i think Craigslist is the way to go if it is a temporary solution. But its your money, spend it the way you want.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You dont have to restore your entire backup to the new phone. In fact, don't restore the backup at all. Dont even sync it with itunes. Just get a 16g 3GS with ios5 and redownload only the apps you really need and have ur IT guy set it up for work emails, networks, etc. forget the photos. Then when the new iPhone comes out you can plug it in to iTunes and restore ur backup then. Silly to waste money on a 32gig ip4 that u are going to replace in 2 or 3 months. There is just no way even 4 gigs of space wouldn't be enough for you essiental apps. And I'd bet its even less then that.

16. 617aircav Suspended

Here in Fairbanks, ak an iPhone 4 can be had for 150, and an iPhone 4s can be had for 300 on Craigslist. iPad 3 for 350.

17. sampdoria thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all. I'll look for a replacement on CL then. I'll keep you posted with what I get...

18. BulldogMac macrumors newbie

Newbie question: Upgrade to 4S and resell after new iPhone released?

I'm in a similar situation: I'm upgrade eligible but had been waiting for the release of the new iPhone to get my first iPhone. My ancient phone just died, so I need a device PDQ.

I'm thinking of just using my upgrade now for the 4S, and then reselling it if the new iPhone is that compelling. But most of the posts I've seen suggest buying an used interim phone off CL or eBay to bridge the gap to the next iPhone release. How much is that really likely to save me, assuming I sell the interim phone when the new device is released?

I know no one has a crystal ball, but hey, this is a rumors site.
    [Wish I'd taken the plunge 9 months ago; I'd be 9 months into my contract by now.]

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

Another option is to buy a used ipod touch 4th gen, which will run around ~$120 for the vpn stuff and use a dumb phone for a couple months.

If you need a smartphone, but a used iphone 4 or 3GS from ebay/craiglist or buy a brand new samsung focus flash outright for $259 on amazon or slightly used but unlocked focus flash from amazon for around $190.

20. BulldogMac macrumors newbie

What I'm missing is how much I'd likely save by buying a used iPhone now and then using my upgrade for the new model. Appreciate any help in estimating help.

Unless the savings are substantial, I don't think I want to deal with CL or eBay, but that's me. Plus, there is always the chance that I don't like the new form factor. (Remmber a few years ago when the Nano went to a fat and wide format for one generation).

21. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

I've got a Droid Eris sitting in a drawer gathering dust. I'm willing to part with it pretty cheap. It'll at least get you by a few months.