Lost iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peaceloveipads, Mar 22, 2013.

1. peaceloveipads macrumors newbie

I lost my iPhone 5 today. I realized it within 20 minutes but someone has already turned it off. At least it shows offline on find my iPhone.

A couple of questions...

- I have AppleCare+ does it cover lost/theft?
    - since the find my iPhone is showing it as offline...what does that mean? Could they have already wiped it clean?
    - I subsidized my phone so if I do not replace it with another smartphone will I still have to pay a data plan?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

First, sorry to hear.

- AppleCare does not cover theft, just hardware failure.
    - No sure way to tell I believe. It's either wiped, or just turned off. I would change all passwords just in case.
    - No you do not.

3. peaceloveipads thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!! I'm not sure what to do.

I am hoping they turn it on and see my message. I said there is a reward and that I'm a cancer patient and REALLY need my phone. I'm in remission but I'm hoping I can pull on their heart strings. I will give them a good reward. No questions asked.

If they've already wiped it will my device will just show offline forever?

4. Knockworstface, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

People are scumbags. I'm sorry that some scumbag ******* thief took your iPhone. I hate people that steal.:mad:

5. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

It's really sad that people these days refuse to give back "found" items. Especially smartphones.
    I know how dependent people are with these phones. Not just for passwords/financial info, but keeping track of Notes, Calendar appts, Reminders, Emails, etc is VERY important to me.
    Be grateful that someone found it, & stay positive & it just might be in your hands again.

“Whenever you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right". -Henry Ford

----------

Keep us updated

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

I'm afraid so. Your apple ID was tied to the 'Find My iPhone' feature on that device, so if wiped, everything will be gone.

Hope they do the right thing.

7. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

I hope you get it back. Karma always prevails. If you don't get it back, maybe we can start a collection here on MR and raise the money to get it replaced. If that's not against forum rules, of course. Count me in for $20.

8. peaceloveipads thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the support!!! You guys are great! #

Thankfully my husband is returning to work on Monday. He's been out on disability for 2 years. Life has sucked the last couple of years in some ways but we have been so lucky in others! Him working will make replacing faster! I'm trying to be positive but I'm not kidding...this has been a crappy couple of years and today I broke down. You all made me feel better and I totally appreciate it! #

I thought that AppleCare+ covered theft or I probably would have kept the AT&T insurance too. #. When I replace it I will have both!

I will let you know if anything happens.

9. peaceloveipads thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question (for now)...

If I wipe my phone and they happen to turn it back on will I still be able to call it? Not sure if I'm wording that properly.

10. 617aircav Suspended

why?

11. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Because if someone stole her phone, and she needs it because she's sick, remission or not, I don't mind chipping in. You don't have to. Is $20 that big of a deal on my part?

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

As long as your sim card is still in there, yes.

13. RSedan macrumors newbie

wow. i truly hope things work out for you. last september my iphone4 was stolen, when my son was 1 month old. most of my pics from the first month of his life are gone forever. i agree with pp that people can be such a-holes. i know exactly who it was too, the damn maintenance worker from my apt complex. he straight up denied me to my face.

my little bro has bone cancer, and does 5 day inpatient chemo every 3 weeks. i wish he had an iphone, he's stuck with a POS non-smart phone for now...my sister lets him borrow her tablet though.

i really wish you the best..!!!!!!!

14. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

I hope things work out for you, too.

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Hope you get it back too but the reality is that most people don't care and look at the high resale value of these Apple devices on the market. An iPhone 5 is an easy $500

16. peaceloveipads thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope things get better for your brother too!!!

Yes, I agree that most will just use or resell. I just hit erase. I'm pretty sure it was wiped anyway. I'm better today. Yesterday I was crying. Yes over a stupid phone...at 38 years old no less...ugh...much more important things to be upset about.

It will be replaced eventually!

17. 92P92 macrumors member

Can't Apple block the Iphone if you give them the serial number?
    Because if that's possible it becomes pretty useless for other people

18. 617aircav Suspended

Att can block it not apple. It becomes useless in the US, but can still be unlocked to use abroad.

19. peaceloveipads thread starter macrumors newbie

It's being replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had requested insurance when I first purchased the phone and they put it on my husbands line by mistake because I used his upgrade. I had been paying for insurance all along!! My dad reminded me that he told me to keep both. It was a crazy time in our life and I honestly have memory issues. Chemo brain. They are on my plan and I never check the bill. I sound like a scammer and I'm so not that's why I'm explaining. Lol

So since it was an error on my end too...AT&T and I negotiated for 2 hours but I'm basically getting an early upgrade on my line. I'm paying $300 (I can thank my husband for that surprise!!!!! He'd been saving on the side for a rainy day) new in the box iPhone 5 32g. My contract is extended by 4 months. I'm ok with that. I've been with them for 13 years.

They also made the missing phone useless to anyone else in the US.

20. 92jlee macrumors 6502

I found a 4S in the pub a few weeks ago, it was locked but I managed to use siri to call someone to get hold of the owner who met me in the same pub. I know what bits like to loose gadgets, I'd lost my camera with the only pictures of our pup in the snow a few months before.

So this guy turns up. He says "you've really saved my life" and bought a round for me and 7 friends!

Not everyone is greedy and thoughtless. I know how much that phone was worth in parts (friend owns a repair shop) but didn't even think about it. Its a shame the small percentage of humans bring the rest down.

21. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

I'm so glad it has worked out for you. Best wishes, I hope this is a new start for some good luck for you!