iPhone 6(S)(+) Lost IUP iPhone, replacement on life support, need a new phone-what to get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BMox, Sep 30, 2018.

1. BMox macrumors 6502a

I’m in a bit of a pickle.

On the IUP, got an 8 last year, expecting to upgrade to this years offering. Then lost the phone in Jan. Accepted my fate that I’ll have to pay that off in full until May. So ended up using my wife’s old 6S as she upgraded to the 7 last year.

However, the 6S is literally on its last legs. Already replaced the battery but hasn’t done anything to fix it dying randomly throughout the day. Have to have a power bank with me at all times or it’s in a charger. So I really do have to get a new phone.

But I’m currently on a £15 12gb sim only deal so the fact I’m going to have to lose that, upgrade to a new two year contract on top of the IUP payments is a tough one to take.

But what do I get? XS to future proof myself? A lower priced X? An XR when pricing becomes available? Can upgrade next month. I’m sticking with Apple because the beauty of iCloud meant I had everything back on the 6S within a day and being so deep in the Apple ecosystem means moving to Android is a no deal.

Ideally I’d want it to be as cheap as possible I guess but know that might not be the case.

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

The cheapest way is to get an iPhone 7, which is still perfectly usable. You might also want to look at insurance - I usually don’t bother; betting that the money I save will outweigh the replacement cost of anything I damage. The one time I lost a phone - a Nokia 8210, in 2002 - I claimed off my parents’ insurance, and vowed to be more careful in future. I much preferred the 8210 than the 8310 I got to replace it.

Doesn’t the Apple care that you’re forced to take with the upgrade program cover loss?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2018 ---
    I’m planning to move to Android soon; maybe I’ll sell you my 7 - it has a new battery. £300?

3. BMox thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleCare doesn’t cover loss unfortunately.

Hmmm, hadn’t really thought about getting a 7. Just figured as I would have to get a new phone then I should at least get one that will see me through the next few years. And I’ve already had the 7.

4. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

The 8 is also available, but as you’ve already had that, the XR is the next cheapest, starting at £749. upload_2018-9-30_23-18-33.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. BMox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah the XR is definitely an option, just need to see the prices of the contract providers I guess.

6. BMox thread starter macrumors 6502a

FWIW, I ended up getting a decent deal for a 64GB Silver XS - arriving tomorrow.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

If you’re getting it from your carrier why not take out their insurance. It will cover you for loss and theft as well as damage.