Lost my original iMovie6 but burned iDVD ~ how to reimport?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Hue, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Hue macrumors newbie

Hello anyone

{any help would be grateful}

I'd been working many hours on an iMovie (in 6.0.2) intended to be made into a limited-edition iDVD to be given to friends.

Trouble is: my original movie trashed ~ all the files and transitions gone. Didn't know how to fix it.

BUT ~ i had burned a late-stage iDVD complete with chapters and intros to see how it played... decided to make a few tweaks, which is when disaster struck.

CAN I RE-IMPORT THE iDVD (the folder contains [to me] meaningless 'AUDIO_TS' and 'VIDEO_TS' files) ??

I saw in another forum that someone who was able to do that found the second-generation quality very poor. MPEG Steamclip was suggested. I downloaded that... but it told me I had no MPEG2 whatever?!

...oh dear :(

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You are able to capture the media from your dvd. As you probably understand, this won't be like it was in iMovie. It will be one big file. So no "cuts" in it, showing what the titles are and clips.

Videos come in different formats (.mov .avi .wmv), just like pictures (.jpg .gif .png).

But the extra thing in video is, you can have different codecs per format. So for example: codec: h.264, format: .mov. But also: codec: h.264, format: .avi. Same codec other format.

MPEG 2 is a codec. DVD players only read MPEG-2, that's why every DVD is MPEG-2. And that's why you can't just drag a .mov file onto a DVD and make your DVD player play it. Everybody can read it for free. But if you want to do more with it, you'll have to buy it. (Although I don't understand why)

If I were you I would just rip the movie with Handbrake. Try to get it into a dv codec, and mov format. That way it will be easier to edit it with iMovie.
    If you can't do that, just install perian.

p.s. google the programs