Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
In the heat of a delayed flight and switching from iPad to iPhone and trying to change flights up, I had my iPad on a couch in a meetin area, and in a rush to get to airport, grabbed it and threw in my bag and rushed to airport, only to find out my pencil was nowhere to be found, even though I know it was attached to my iPad via the magnet.

While the magnet is good, still need to pay attention to it ... especially when in a rush. Got a new one so it’s all good, but now I need to figure out the AppleCare thing ...

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
In the heat of a delayed flight and switching from iPad to iPhone and trying to change flights up, I had my iPad on a couch in a meetin area, and in a rush to get to airport, grabbed it and threw in my bag and rushed to airport, only to find out my pencil was nowhere to be found, even though I know it was attached to my iPad via the magnet.

While the magnet is good, still need to pay attention to it ... especially when in a rush. Got a new one so it’s all good, but now I need to figure out the AppleCare thing ...

A friend of mine used his pencil for taking notes in a meeting and at the end of it, attached the pencil to his iPad and walked back to his desk...and his pencil was gone. He had no idea where it fell off and spent 15 minutes looking for it. Fortunately, somebody found it laying on the floor and picked it up and sent out an email and he got it back.

I guess the lesson is don't trust the magnets for anything other than charging or while your iPad is sitting stationary.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Bummer man. Yeah, the magnet system is great, but it can give you a false sense of security, when in reality, it can get knocked off if you aren’t careful. I kinda wish Apple’s folio had a little strap that went over the pencil for extra protection. Probably wouldn’t be too hard to rig something like that up yourself. I just might do that to my case when I get it.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Ahh bad luck there.

As handy an idea as the magnet is, I would loved to have seen Apple take a leaf out of Samsung’s book & made an insertable Pencil, even if it meant a slightly thicker device.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Ahh bad luck there.

As handy an idea as the magnet is, I would loved to have seen Apple take a leaf out of Samsung’s book & made an insertable Pencil, even if it meant a slightly thicker device.

No one would really want that. :)

Especially since not everyone uses the Pencil - so if you just want the iPad, you'd have a nice big hole in your thick tablet.
[doublepost=1542707941][/doublepost]

First of all, let me say that I sympathize and these things happen.

With that said, your iPad and your Pencil are expensive devices and you need to treat them accordingly. Don't throw valuable things in the bag in a rush - plan in the extra 10 seconds to place them in a designated place safely. The magnet on the iPad is intended for charging and keeping the Pencil nearby when using the iPad, it is not designed to resist throwing the device around. I'm sure Apple spent a lot of time finding the exact balance between removing the Pencil easily and keeping it firmly in place.

Last edited:

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The magnet isn't great. I managed to drop the pencil several times when trying the new iPad in store. It's a feature that seems like a good idea but the execution has so many real world issues only to have simple charging and pairing.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
please tell me, oh do tell me that these 129.oo dollars stylus HAVA A TRACKING system.......Apple 2018, they not all about the U!

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I've found that the pencil is easily bumped off the iPad and I no longer keep it there unless charging.

Reactions: papbot

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Hey OP.

This one time I got a pair of $60 JBL Bluetooth earbuds at the airport just before a flight. I lost them on the way to the gate - really Guinness Book record-breaking stuff, I had them for less than 10 minutes. I bought another pair at the destination out of anger, which means I paid $120 for $60 earbuds and MANY spare tips.

I was very mad at the world for being so unfair, why me etc., but at the end of the day it was 100% my fault for being stupid.

So please take care of your expensive gear. Or have it engraved with “Property of Lee Kibum” or something.

Reactions: christophermdia

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
The pencil is definitely not as strongly attached as it looks. Personally I think keeping the pencil separately when commuting is a good idea.

Otherwise possibly some kind of clip or latch around the pencil from the back to the front of the folio cover / Smart Keyboard cover may work.

Reactions: Seed101

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Guys ! Any Apple device is a very thoughtfully designed, extremely niche item. Don't think Johnny Ivy and company would just randomly wake up one day and start inviting suggestions on how to design their gadgets. If that was the case Apple would be like any Grocery store offering household items which do not require any thinking. Apple products are extremely thought about and carefully crafted stuff. So none of this fancy ideas is gonna appeal Apple. And for the better it should not even reach Apple. God knows what a bizzare item would it turn out to be if Apple started listening to some immature wannabe suggesting some whacko ideas on how their stuff should look. I absolutely do not want that as a Apple Customer !!

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Guys ! Any Apple device is a very thoughtfully designed, extremely niche item. Don't think Johnny Ivy and company would just randomly wake up one day and start inviting suggestions on how to design their gadgets. If that was the case Apple would be like any Grocery store offering household items which do not require any thinking. Apple products are extremely thought about and carefully crafted stuff. So none of this fancy ideas is gonna appeal Apple. And for the better it should not even reach Apple. God knows what a bizzare item would it turn out to be if Apple started listening to some immature wannabe suggesting some whacko ideas on how their stuff should look. I absolutely do not want that as a Apple Customer !!

You had me at Johnny Ivy

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
what ideas here are whacko ideas?

I did buy - UAG case, it does have a magnetic strappy thing that covers - pencil when closed. But someone said its not that reliable. But the case has a slot on the side for- pencil to click into. I do have one of those pencil cases- strap (elastic) to your case for my 2015 ipp.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

Apple employees regularly read these forums...

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Mine has stayed on in my briefcase everyday, which surprises me as I have knocked it off the top in use. So I can easily see it coming off when being carried or in a hurry.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Mine pops off when I slide it into a zippered sleeve unless I'm extremely careful about it. The magnet is nice, but it's not the grippiest on the Pencil.

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
I don’t trust the magnets to hold the pencil in place when I’m carrying the iPad. You don’t know when it’s going to get knocked loose without you realizing it. When I carry the iPad around school with the pencil still attached, I make it a habit to wrap my hands around the side with the pencil. This way, I always know the pencil is still in my grasp.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Otherwise possibly some kind of clip or latch around the pencil from the back to the front of the folio cover / Smart Keyboard cover may work.

Otterbox just announced something like what I mentioned above: https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/20/otterbox-ipad-pro-case/
HMKL2_AV2

Looks pretty good IMO, although no smart keyboard which could be annoying to some.

Reactions: shrishri and Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.