Lost/stolen iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dcblanco, Mar 11, 2013.

1. dcblanco macrumors newbie

Hi all...first time poster here...
    I was the victim of iPhone theft this past weekend. It appears that my phone is not too far away from my location based on the "find my iphone" information I pulled up however it is now not sending back any information. I had the iPhone 5 and most likely the person who now has it has no way of charging it without going out and buying the charger for it. So for now I've set it in lost mode, added the sound notification and a personalized message to call my GF's phone if or when it is turned back on, AND I also mentioned a possible reward for returning it. I haven't erased the phone yet b/c I'm still waiting to see if possibly the phone gets returned plus if I erase it I can no longer track it in the "find my iphone" icloud feature.

So now I'm faced with, if I cannot get my phone back, having to replace it. I just bought the phone back in November and renewed my contract so only payed 200 bucks for the phone. Does anyone have any ideas about how to replace my phone and get the same iPhone 5 for little money or am I screwed? I don't have any insurance at the moment but I'm wondering if that's something I can add now to my plan or to apple before I report it stolen? Am I looking at possibly having to buy a used iPhone from someone or if I really want the iPhone 5 again, having to pay the full amount for it?
    Saving money is my primary goal here...

Thanks ahead for your time and suggestions...

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Buy off CL or pay full price - certainly you can try and add insurance (but that is a crime). I would recommend you dont try this option.

3. 617aircav Suspended

Pretty sure there is a time limitation to when you can add insurance. OP your only resort is to buy another one. Used or need it will cost way more than the 200. Should have had insurance. Sorry.

4. dcblanco thread starter macrumors newbie

I will def be getting a used one...was just seeing if this was most likely my only option as far as saving money. Been looking on CL and Amazon however people all over Amazon seem to be getting ripped off based on the reviews.

Thanks

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

CL will be the best price - just be careful use common sense.

6. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I agree, Craigslist is the way to go. I picked up a 16gb iPhone 5 with the box and all the accessories, Factory unlocked, for $450. He was asking $550, but accepted a lower offer. Just ask around, some people need the cash, and will give you a good deal if you're ready to buy.

7. 617aircav Suspended

True. Got a 5 for 350. desperate people lol.

8. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

buy another one for $200?

also why didn't you go looking for it when findmyiphone was working?

9. RicoRich196 macrumors member

That's an awesome deal.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think many people get insurance that would specifically cover the loss or theft of an iPhone. I know its out there, but I think the majority--if they have insurance at all -- would get Applecare which would NOT cover that.

It's a long shot, but your homeowners or renters insurance might cover it -- and I know some credit cards like American Express will cover some instances of loss or theft if purchased with their cards.

Other than that, you'll need to get it full price. If you have to do that, you might as well get a factory unlocked version. That is--the *real* factory unlocked version that Apple sells, not the ones bought with carrier contracts that are unlocked later.

Good luck OP--this sucks and could happen to anyone.