Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTheChipper

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
i lost my phone today now somebody has it and turned it off so i can't track it
i only got it 2weeks ago
dose my 90 protection plan cover it
i no I'm recaching but can some help me and give me advice on what i can do
i think who ever has it might have just restored it
so i won't be able to track it any how

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
i lost my phone today now somebody has it and turned it off so i can't track it
i only got it 2weeks ago
dose my 90 protection plan cover it
i no I'm recaching but can some help me and give me advice on what i can do
i think who ever has it might have just restored it
so i won't be able to track it any how

Where did you lose it? If they turned it off or restored it then chances are it is gone. Sorry to hear. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

Which carrier are you on? If you can't track it, give them a call and have them blacklist the phone.

----------

Also, I would also discuss with them if you can get a new phone. You might have to buy retail so in that case I recommend Craigslist or these forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Dont feel bad I lost my 4S yesterday too.
Sucks, but its life. The person that took mine turned it off for a while then on and started messing around with my apps. He started turning off and on my car with the remote viper app, locking and unlocking the doors and other crap. I had to do a remote wipe cause it was pretty much a lost cause. They wouldnt answer any calls and had no intention of returning it.
If they turned it off or restored it there isnt much you can do.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Dont feel bad I lost my 4S yesterday too.
Sucks, but its life. The person that took mine turned it off for a while then on and started messing around with my apps. He started turning off and on my car with the remote viper app, locking and unlocking the doors and other crap. I had to do a remote wipe cause it was pretty much a lost cause. They wouldnt answer any calls and had no intention of returning it.
If they turned it off or restored it there isnt much you can do.

No password on your phone and you have it controlling your car???? Wow! :eek:

MacTheChipper

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
im in ireland and both the phone sim free on the apple web site and i was on meteor carrier
was leaving my friends house drunk and got the bus home and i came home and seen i didn't have the phone
its not in my friends i looked

and i don't have the money to buy a new one
just want to know can apple help me i no they can track phones
would they find it or replace it for me

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yea, I can definitely see how that would be Apple's fault.

Why would you assume he's talking about the 1 year Apple warranty? More likely his reference is to something like American Express's purchase protection.

Why the OP would ask about that here vs calling whatever institution is offering that protection is another question though...

to the OP: sorry for your loss, that svcks. hopefully your credit card provides theft coverage. Chances of recovering the phone are pretty much nil if it's been switched off/restored.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If you bought it through a credit card, you might have theft insurance (check with them). Otherwise, your homeowner's or renter's insurance would cover it, but there is usually a $250 or $500 deductible.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
Pardon my ignorance - but are you saying if someone restores the phone it can be used?

I'm with Verizon (USA) and always thought if the phone is stolen - you call the phone company and they kill it (at least in the states)...

Can a stolen/lost iphone be "reflashed" and reused even if Verizon has marked it as lost/stolen?

Or is this a SIM/GSM issue?

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
If you bought it through a credit card, you might have theft insurance (check with them). Otherwise, your homeowner's or renter's insurance would cover it, but there is usually a $250 or $500 deductible.

Great tip. I didn't know about this. Thanks for the information. I realized my credit card does have theft protection, although it's just for 90 days, good enough for me :)

I check my iPhone way too many times to have a passcode to enter each time...but I guess I should consider getting one...

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Just a reminder for everyone reading this thread - protect yourself and enable a Passcode and Find My iPhone.

Even if the device is unretrievable, at least the thief doesn't have access to your data/apps.

This was literally posted minutes ago: http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/22/find-my-iphone-helps-police-arrest-an-armed-robbery-suspect/
+1 for this, and a nod to honest folks who contact the owners of lost phones. If everyone did it, this guy would have his phone.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I found 2 iPhone 4's and a couple Blackberries before and always return them. Sucks that the one time I lost my iPhone no one returns it.

OnEMoReTrY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008

This is only half the battle, you also have to figure out how to get another phone at the subsidized price, otherwise you're still out $400~ Sometimes AT&T or Apple are nice about that, other times not so.

MacTheChipper

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
can apple not track the phone by its serial number
or just track the phone altogether
they do track all the producs

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
Great tip. I didn't know about this. Thanks for the information. I realized my credit card does have theft protection, although it's just for 90 days, good enough for me :)

I check my iPhone way too many times to have a passcode to enter each time...but I guess I should consider getting one...

You can set a timer for how long before it asks for the passcode again, I have mine set to an hour and it rarely activates.

Sorry to hear about your loss OP

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA

Apple is unable to track your product even if you have the serial number.

AppleCare does not cover loss or theft!

Your phone is gone, sorry.:(

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I think they should have a feature on FindMyiphone where if the device is off, you can turn it on and track it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

No.

And to the dude who has the viper app on his phone and no passcode lock, seriously, WTF?!

Any device that leaves the house with that much personal information has a ****ing password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.