Lost thousands of SMSs and hundreds of photos after upgrading to iOS 4 on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zukernik, Sep 2, 2010.

1. zukernik macrumors regular

I seldom sync since syncing usually takes me several hours due to the long backup time. Yesterday I upgraded to iOS 4, thinking it would automatically backup and sync. I didn't really pay attention to what happened since it took over 7 hours to upgrade the iOS but once it was done it restored data from several months ago and now I lost all of my recent messages and photos. Is there any way to get them back? My contacts were luckily backed up on Gmail but there were many very important text messages from many different people in there and many photos I would like to keep. What can I do? The latest backup I have is from June.

2. SlasherKG macrumors member

As far as I know, you can't do anything without a current backup. Unfortunately, as you've found out, it doesn't do a backup when updating automatically. It should backup/sync whenever you plug in your device, but it sounds like you turned that setting off (due to the long backup time). You should always do a full backup/sync prior to updating. I see also that you restored the older backup from June, so likely even any data recovery service can't be of help since it's been overwritten.

Just to note also, iTunes 9.2 I believe changed the way that the backup works, which in my experience greatly improved the time it takes. It will only backup changed/new data, so that in itself will improve time if you sync more often.

Short answer, the data doesn't exist anymore.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I sync almost every day. Unless I have apps that need updating or media to add, it takes me a minute to sync. Perhaps you should sync while you're getting ready for bed or while you're sleeping.

Regarding your data: you're SOL

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The reason your backups take so long is that you seldom sync. My backups take maybe 2 minutes. If you sync more regularly and the backups still take a long time, consider restoring the phone or reinstalling iTunes.

5. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Under Windows 7 (bit) my iPhone 4 (32GB) (running 4.0.2) only takes a few minutes at most to do a backup and that is with only 1 GB of space free. I do sync every few days so that is probably why.

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Given how incredibly easy it is to backup one's data these days, it's really hard to feel sorry for people when I read posts like this one. For starters, you sync your phone at least once every few days and you've got a backup on your computer. Let Time Machine do its thing every once in a while and you've got a second backup there. Finally, let an online backup service like Backblaze run once a day and you've got a third, off-site backup, too.

I mean, it's really not that difficult, is it?

7. foranor macrumors regular

I really checked the site, but backblaze doesn't seem capable of backing up my iPhone.

With the iPhone, you are stuck with iTunes and I, personally, haven't had one single working backup. I never managed to recover a backup I made with iTunes when I restored my phone or set up as new.

So, not really helpful. iTunes, btw, never gave an error during backup. It just tells me: You're screwed! when I try to recover.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's right, BackBlaze 'only' backs up your entire HDD. So if you've got iPhone backups from iTunes, those will be backed up through BackBlaze. ;)

As for having unusable backups, why not simply extract the data you want (specifically) from the backup and SSH it into the restored phone? There are tools to view and extract data from backups - I've used them numerous times! I don't recall the name ATM but I'm sure a quick Google search would turn it up. ;)

9. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I think photos in camera roll has to be imported not sync. :confused: so even if you sync, you will still lose your photos?