Lost Time Machine backups after Sierra upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Tacticus, May 13, 2018.

1. Tacticus macrumors member

After upgrading my MBP to High Sierra I am unable to restore any backups from my Time Machine (it's on an external hard drive). When I select any of the dates on the timeline no response as if there aren't any backups. I know there were backups though because I have restored old files when on the previous OS. I read that Sierra has a new Apple file system but surely I should be able to restore TM backups from the previous OS ?

Does anybody know if I can retrieve these backups (or even specific files) or have they been deleted ?

Please help ! Thanks.

2. madrich, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018

madrich macrumors 6502

madrich

With any new OS X, the TM will not allow you view files under the old OS X. You could partition your drive and restore the old OS X and open the TM under that partition, or you could use the Migration Assistant under High Sierra to copy back old data under the old OS X.

Here's a helpful link: http://web.archive.org/web/20171009200926/http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

3. Tacticus thread starter macrumors member

That sounds useful thanks, I will take a look. So you think my data is still there but just cannot be viewed via the new OSX ?

4. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

This is another example of why it is always a good idea to have a bootable clone of your system drive (using CCC or SuperDuper) in addition to (or instead of) a TM backup before making any OS changes, especially with the file system changes HS makes. Much easier and better to do a clean install, re-download the apps you use, then migrate the files you still want.

5. madrich macrumors 6502

madrich

Right. All your data should still be there.

6. Tacticus thread starter macrumors member

Ok guys an update ..... as you predicted my files still exist on my external hard drive on the backup directory so the problem was the TM App couldn't see them. So good news and thanks for your help. Do you think it is safe for me to continue using the same external hard drive to backup my now upgraded MBP (i.e. High Sierra) ? Just a bit worried in case it wipes out my backup directories, maybe I should buy a new EHD for Sierra backups.

7. sylvie.petit Suspended

If you are on High Sierra right now with APFS then I think you can't restore your Time backup since APFS doesn't support HFS. Is this the case? Let me know.

8. Tacticus thread starter macrumors member

Yes that is the case although my backup files still exist in the backup.backupdb directory so I can manually retrieve specific files if needed.