Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I'm from the US. I had Verizon unlock my phone so that I could put in an international SIM card when I traveled abroad. However, when I put in the international SIM card, I lost the original Verizon one that was inside. Do I need this original SIM card when I go back to the US? Wil my 4S work without it? I also plan on getting my phone replaced with AppleCare-- will a new SIM card come with it?

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
I'm from the US. I had Verizon unlock my phone so that I could put in an international SIM card when I traveled abroad. However, when I put in the international SIM card, I lost the original Verizon one that was inside. Do I need this original SIM card when I go back to the US? Wil my 4S work without it? I also plan on getting my phone replaced with AppleCare-- will a new SIM card come with it?

Just go to Verizon corp store or call them and they will give you a new one for free. Don't go to an authorized dealer shop. They charge for new SIM. Like 3 bucks or something like that.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

your 4S doesnt require a Verizon SIM as it doesnt support LTE so it will work just fine as long as CDMA switch is on...

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
your 4S doesnt require a Verizon SIM as it doesnt support LTE so it will work just fine as long as CDMA switch is on...

Thanks! But when I go to the Apple store to trade in my old 4S (which is missing the SIM card), will the new replacement have a SIM card in it already?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Thanks! But when I go to the Apple store to trade in my old 4S (which is missing the SIM card), will the new replacement have a SIM card in it already?

Being on Verizon I'm not even sure why you need the SIM Card inside a 4S but maybe it will....I cant say to be honest but your iPhone will work that I can say as its CDMA radio in Verizon iPhones is enabled and that is what it uses to connect to the network.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Probably not.
You can go to Verizon and they will give you another one.
But like said above it is not needed inside your 4S in order to work in the US.
Its just for when you're outside the US in order to roam on other international carriers.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

No, they will assume that you are going to use your existing SIM card. White-box replacement iPhones usually don't come with SIMs.

The SIm card in your case will only be necessary if you plan on traveling abroad and roaming off Verizon instead of using a local carrier's SIM. If you don't anticipate doing that, you probably won't need one unless/until you upgrade to the iPhone 5... which WILL come with its own SIM.

Acbyrne16

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
I'm from the US. I went to Spain and I bought a SIM card to make international calls, so I can talk with my family. I unfortunately lost my verizon SIM card while there. I have an iPhone 5s. Where can I get a new SIM card and what is the cost? Thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm from the US. I went to Spain and I bought a SIM card to make international calls, so I can talk with my family. I unfortunately lost my verizon SIM card while there. I have an iPhone 5s. Where can I get a new SIM card and what is the cost? Thanks

Go to any verizon store and they will give you one.
I don't think they will charge you but never know. It is verizon:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.