Lots of complaints here... Anyone love their 2011 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BigSaintDogs, Aug 20, 2011.

1. BigSaintDogs macrumors member

I just purchases a MBA i5 256 for travel, MBP 17 was ripping the steps off my backpack when adding it to a special work laptop. I have been reading allot of complaints here which I can happily say I have none of. It is Fast, Quiet, no creaks, Screen is bright and clear, doesn't get hot, charges fast, battery lasts over 6 hours unless a peripheral is attached and it does everything as advertised if not better!

I was just wondering if I am in the usual silent majority? :apple:

2. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Best computer I ever owned (and I owned a lot).. .
    I consider it a modern marvel..

I own a 2010 MBA as well as a 2011 MBA.. they're getting better and better :apple:

3. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

I have a 2010 MBA and 2011, they are the best portable computers that I have ever owned. I think that is around 9 laptops total over the last 10 years.

4. codyc1515 macrumors member

I would also agree to those saying best ever!
    I did have some problems initially, but they all seem to be sorted now.

5. mikethewxguy macrumors member

I was VERY VERY VERY apprehensive coming from a 2009 MacBook Pro. I received my 13" MBA today (thanks again amazon/kindle!) and thus far --- I am LOVING it! Needless to say...my MBA is for sale right now.

6. MikeMacbookAir, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

MikeMacbookAir macrumors newbie

I love my 2011 MBA 11"

I've had my new MBA 11" for over a week and I am very happy with it. No problems so far, and not expecting any. It's small, light, and thanks to the SSD, quick enough. I admit that 256GB is not a lot of disc space, but I wanted small and light.

Perhaps I have just been lucky, but this is my third Apple notebook in the last 10 years (I try to get 5 years out of each), and I have never had any problems.

Although you do need to upgrade from Office 2008 to Office 2011 under Lion as 2008 seems to have some old PowerPC code in it. But if that is a problem, I presume you could re-install with Snow Leopard.

Of course, if you need more than 256GB disc, or 4GB RAM, then it is not for you and a MBP would be better, assuming you want a Mac :)

7. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I am digging mine. I am actually creating an iMovie at the moment. Encoding 1080P 3 minute long iMovie clip. Yes it is warm and the fan's are going, but it would on any laptop.

8. scarred macrumors 6502a

The Macbook air is absolutely amazing. I am so very happy to have one. It changed my expectations on what computers can do for me, how they should work, and how they should look. The paring with OS X Lion is brilliant. I know people coming from SL are disappointed, but coming from Windows, it is a breath of fresh air.

Since the C2D model last year, I've been waiting. I bought this first day of release, and have no regrets. I had very high expectations, and they were met. I am one to get buyers remorse on larger purchases... I had none with the Macbook Air.

For reference, I have the 13 base model.

9. EthanMiller macrumors member

I've had no issues since I got mine (Well, one unlock, the keyboard wouldn't do any input, but closing and opening the lid fixed it. :rolleyes: Happens on Windows all the time, except then it won't resuspend and I have to reboot. Which is the worse problem?)

Absolutely loving it.

Take a moment to put it on a desk, sit down to use it, and look at how the profile makes the laptop look like it has no underside. It's a really beautiful computer on so many levels.

And it's no slouch, either. Haven't done any video processing, but the first thing I did was click every icon in the dock (well, except launchpad and MC). They all snapped up and then the computer didn't blink. Amazing.

10. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

For me this is the best computer on the market. I mean the only competition is Apple's other notebooks because the PC's are just catching up to the first MacBook Pro's design. This is fast enough and the design is the most important thing for me.

11. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I finally went out of town for a business trip earlier in the week with my new 2011 11" MBA. Up until then, liked it but never really took advantage of its instant on and portability...I was just using it around the house.

I used it to present at a conference and I can say I really appreciate this computer. I just lift the lid and its on and ready to go. Carrying it around the conference in my briefcase was like nothing....super light. When I presented I just plugged it in to the projector and it connected perfectly. PowerPoint showed me the slide on the projector screen and the one that would be on next.

I used to carry some fairly heavy 15" Dell laptops to these kind of events in the past. They worked, but they were heavy, had to wait to boot them up, had to mess around for a while to get it to connect to the projector, etc. MBA was really great for this kind of thing. Light and problem free.

12. xpipe macrumors regular

It's fabulous, best computer ever. I'd marry it if I could. I'm not sure if it's male or female, though.

13. eckthroi macrumors regular

I have an 11" 1.6/i5/4GB/128 and I absolutely love my Air. I have not experienced any problems except the slow start from sleep- 10.7.1 did make it a little better but did not completely fix it. However I know it will eventually be addressed and so I am not bothered by it at all. Even with the slow start it is pretty fast compared to most laptops.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

I think the vast majority of people who buy them are happy with them. Most complaints here are minor quibbles. Plus, people are more likely to post if they are unhappy.

15. mittens79 macrumors newbie

Would it really it matter? :D

I'm also totally in love with my little MBA. My only issue (which is all about me and not about the machine itself) is that it's been so challenging for me to adjust from my heavy, substantial laptops (MB, MBP), that sometimes I find myself babying my MBA for fear of breaking it. Often I end up using my older machines just because the situation feels "risky" and I don't have time or energy to focus so much on taking care of the MBA. I know, I know, I need to just get over it and stop with the OCD business. Surely it can handle a lot more than I am permitting it. I feel like an overprotective parent or something! LOL :p

But yes, total and utter love. It's by far the sweetest laptop I've ever had, though I do have a lot of affection for all my older macs (they got me through some significant life events-- writing my phd dissertation, for example). <3 :apple:
    I look forward to all the wonderful experiences and important projects I complete on my MBA, and most of all the portability it will afford me while I am working on them!! I travel a lot for conferences, research, etc. and it will make a world of difference. The past few years, I literally groaned when I had to pack up my gear for a research trip abroad. Now I feel free!

Thanks OP for starting a thread about MBA love!

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The MBA is the best computer I've had in 25 years. Better than my Commodore PET. :cool:

17. Roller macrumors 68020

Aren't there adapters available? Seriously, though, my 11" MBA is the best laptop I've ever owned (PB 170, PB 5300, "Lombard" PB, PB G4, aluminum MacBook, MBA). I rarely power it down, usually just leave it in sleep mode, so it's ready to go. Like RobT, I'm looking forward to using it to present at conferences.

18. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

No, you aren't the only one loving the MBA. People typically come to these forums when they have issues, but they are in the minority.

19. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

Superb. Its so fast i can do everything pretty much as quick as i want too - no lagging.

...but would like 1-2 hours more battery :roll eyes: and id like an 11" just for fun!

20. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

I ENVY YOU ALL. :(

I can't wait for payday to come.

21. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Really enjoying my 13" 256gb, i5. Very, very thankful. :)

22. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Complaints on the MBA? Not since they popped in the 4g ram and SSD baby.

23. jcg878 macrumors member

I do now that my issue was fixed. It is fantastic, and it's amazing how much weight my now-deceased MBP put on after the Air was purchased.

24. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Thank you for reminding me of the word "quibble." It's a lot of fun to say. Alas, I have not the slightest QUIBBLE with my MBA. Can we make QUIBBLE Pee Wee's word of the day? :)

25. DieterRams macrumors regular

Did you get 11" or 13"? What kind of programs do you run and what kind of work do you do on it?