Lots of dupes in the folders of my itunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jrm27, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

Recently my buddy's macbook pro died. When we realized it was on it's way out, we moved his itunes library to an external hard drive. We had to consolidate it a couple times to get everything. We setup his new macbook pro to look at the external drive for his itunes library.

However, the new macbook pro is still storing music files locally (the external drive is always plugged in). I did a consolidation last night and noticed something weird. It's not jsut looking for the files that arent in the itunes library on the external drive and adding them, it is making full copies of the itunes libraries on the external drive. So, that means that my buddy has about 4 of each song in his itunes library folders (only one copy of the song shows up in itunes itself). So his Dave Matthews folder will show the album Crash as it's own folder, but within that folder there will be four copies of each song that is on the album.

So, is there an easy way to delete all these dupes? It's almost 400 gigs worth of dupes! Is there some kind of script we can run to get rid of all the extraneous copies on the external drive? If we can figure that out and get it straightend out on the external, we'll probably wipe all the music on the macbook pro, and try to start from scratch by pointing it at this correct location on the external drive again.

Thoughts? Does that even make sense?

-jon