Lots of HDD with movie collection

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Trillian66, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Trillian66 macrumors newbie

Hi, I need some help with the setup of my home theatre network. I have been through all the ideas of building a HTPC and actually embarked on building a new one. However, I am so over Windows and PCs I have now hooked my Mac mini up to my TV and will use that as my server/computer. My dilemma is, I have 10 HDD full of my cd, dvd and blurry collections and am trying to find a way of having them all in one enclosure/case. I am not interested in running anything Raid, and don't need to build a full server as I have the Mac mini, can anyone give me any suggestions, I have an old tower case and some parts lying around that can be used.
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

3. DaPhatty macrumors member

You don't say how many drives and how much data you are actually dealing with. Assuming you are open to consolidating your collection into one or two drives, I recommend getting the MiniStack. I just went through the same experience as you with Windows and multiple storage drives and ended up with a MacMini and MiniStack for my collection. I couldn't be happier with the end result.

4. Trillian66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have about 12hdd. They are all full with my bluray, DVD and cd collection. I have seen the Addonics Tower Storage 13 and was thinking I may be able to use an old case I have here and a couple of hdd controllers. Just don't want a full PC

5. linds15 macrumors 6502a

what capacity hard drives are we talking? 2.5"or 3.5"? whats the TOTAL storage you are looking for, are you planning on it growing...? are you open to consolidating you're many drives, or are you set on putting these existing drives into some chassis

6. Trillian66, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Trillian66 thread starter macrumors newbie

at present they are all 3.5" 2TB hard drives, I am looking at getting bigger drives but no more than I have got. I don't really want to consolidate if I don't have to. I would like to be able to use what I have as I have already forked out enough on bits that haven't been used that I would like to use them.

7. DaPhatty macrumors member

With 24 terabytes of data, your only option is a gigantic NAS/File server.

8. mslide, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

mslide macrumors 6502a

Build a dedicated server. That's a lot of storage. Personally, I use FreeBSD + ZFS for my server but there are tons of options. You don't have to pool the drives together or use any redundancy if you don't want to but I certainly would. It also could mean having to start with empty drives. When I switched over to my current server, I had to blow away about 75% of my movies so I could free up enough drives to create my RAIDZ.

Hooking up drives to a Mini via USB is fine when you're talking about a couple/few drives but there comes a point where you want to start thinking about setting up a real server.

If you're interested in going this route (I know you said you didn't want to but...), I'd head over to the Home Theater PC forum on avsforum.com. There are a bunch of regular members there that run really large home servers and are quite knowledgable.

9. Trillian66 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That won't be a very quick solution. You are taking all your drives and running them through a single line.

A synology would be a great way to go. I know you said you don't want RAID but for that many drives you really should be using RAID. Your chance of drive failure is high. Having a single volume would also make it much easier to find data. They really are easy to manage. Something like this may get you started http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS1512+&lang=us but you mentioned you have more drives than that.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom