Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi so on Big Sur 11.5 Macos on 2015 macbookpro I have a folder with about 4000 images.

The problem I'm seeing now is that when I download an image from the web using Chrome browser, the writing of the file to the above folder is very slow. Secondly when I search for the image file name, it takes sometime to show in the search results.

Is there anyway to optimise the SSD drive on my 2015 macbookpro? Or, to rebuild the search index if it could speed things up. I would appreciate any help regarding this. Thanks!

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Hi so on Big Sur 11.5 Macos on 2015 macbookpro I have a folder with about 4000 images.

The problem I'm seeing now is that when I download an image from the web using Chrome browser, the writing of the file to the above folder is very slow. Secondly when I search for the image file name, it takes sometime to show in the search results.

Is there anyway to optimise the SSD drive on my 2015 macbookpro? Or, to rebuild the search index if it could speed things up. I would appreciate any help regarding this. Thanks!
Sub folders are the way to go. Particularly if you want to preview the files in finder. Even the most capable computer will be challenged with a large number of files in one folder.

Typical arrangements include
-->Year
---> Month
----> Day
-----> Subject

Obviously there are many alternatives.

Label the files really well to ensure you can use most use of spotlight to find individual things.

HTH

Reactions: Big Ron and bernuli

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Sub folders are the way to go. Particularly if you want to preview the files in finder. Even the most capable computer will be challenged with a large number of files in one folder.

Typical arrangements include
-->Year
---> Month
----> Day
-----> Subject

Obviously there are many alternatives.

Label the files really well to ensure you can use most use of spotlight to find individual things.

HTH
Hi so there is no way to somehow rebuild the search index or optimise my SSD hard drive? thanks!

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Hi so there is no way to somehow rebuild the search index or optimise my SSD hard drive? thanks!
You can rebuild the icon previews and rebuild spotlight indexes, either from the command line or using a tool such as OnXy, but it is a fundamental feature of the operating system to not be good at these full folders. For applications designed by Apple such files are kept at multiple levels - for instance Mail folders in the Library.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have a folder with about 4000 images.

A search on a folder with ~9000 images on an external RAID drive on my iMac is almost instantaneous.

How much free space do you have on your SSD? Have you run any SSD diagnostics?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.