Lots of iMovie (HD vids) and iPhoto use - 13" or 15" new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chodite, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Trying to see if I'd be more than ok with a 13" in my situation or if a 15" is mandatory.

Lots of photo importing and editing. Same with iMovie and FCP, though more intense, with raw 1080p video imports and editing.

A fair amount of Handbrake ripping as well.

I'm hearing great things about these new processors across the board and would obviously be happy if the 13" MBP would be more than sufficient; as I could use the $$ saved for more RAM and maybe a SSD.

Thoughts?

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

BOTH machines would serve you well. I feel like the two questions you need to ask yourself are these:

1) Do I want more screen real estate?
    2) Do I make money with my machine? (time is money)

If you can deal with a smaller screen, and you are not doing this work for a living. Then the 13 is the way to go.

If you want the bigger screen, a better resolution and the anti-glare option, then the base model 15 is your best bet.

And lastly, if this will be a portable work machine - then you need to go with the 15 - a larger processor, and dedicated graphics card is a must.

3. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Also forgot to mention that it'll be primarily connected to a 22" monitor. So real estate - not much of an issue. Sounds like 13" should be fine.

4. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Seems like your into the Size and shape of the 13 but wanting the Spec of a 15.

Hmm hard choice. i end up getting the 15 plainly based on the specs.

Id love a 13 and its so handy to bring it out on the go.