Lots of little issues with 2016 MBP - any way to get a new unit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LanceHudson, Apr 30, 2017.

1. LanceHudson macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've had my MBP for around 2 months now - so I am outside the return period - and I'm having a few little glitches here and there, none of which I think the Apple Store will take seriously. These are all very occasional:

- My 'b' key gives a double entry click.
    - Graphic issues (red stripes) when changing into full screen mode.
    - My trackpad/case makes a loud metallic rattle if tapped even slightly.
    - My speakers, even when not playing music, give a loud cracking sound a couple of times a day (on macOS).
    - A lot of freezing of the touch bar, which never happened on the model prior to this one.

These, bar the trackpad noise, would be very had for me to demonstrate in store due to the rarity. However, as this is such an expensive computer, it still annoys me. I would really like a replacement, but I'm outside of the window and I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

2. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Probably the best bet is to walk into an Apple Store, be FRIENDLY and plead your case. A few years ago I had an iPhone that had issues that were rare as well. Sometimes the phone would just die in the middle of a call and restart.

I went in and talked it over. A few minutes later I had a new phone.

Obviously a computer will be a tougher deal, but explain the variety of issues and how they are causing you trouble. They may help you out and it certainly is worth a try.

R.

3. iRabbit macrumors 6502

You are within the warranty period (1 year), so go make an appointment and talk to someone at Apple. I'm sure they will help you. I don't know why you say they won't take you seriously.

4. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I can speak from experience that this is exactly the kind of thing that Apple does take seriously, their service and quality are their entire image and anything coming between you and as perfect of an experience as possible will hinder your purchasing choices in the future, they're not dense enough to ignore that.

Oh, don't turn down their suggestions for proceeding with repair options, the best choice is to listen to them and follow their procedure, if that fails you, then they'll especially feel the need to rectify the situation.

I've had computers out for warranty repairs that came back with new issues, one of them was a 'loud, metallic click on the trackpad', something wasn't seated right or came undone in shipping or something, Apple asked if I'd be willing to exchange it in store and they'd take care of me.

The only way you won't be taken seriously is if you don't follow their process, you'll seem like you're trying to get something out of them.

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

its possible they can give you some lee way with a retail swap since you're 6 weeks away from the return policy ending, that's not an eternity ago necessarily, and still the latest model so...

I would definitely try.

But you may fall within repair hell timeframe, too. In which case you're looking at lots of downtime and hoping for the best that they get resolved.

Just curious have more of these problems reared their head recently or is it something you've had and been wrestling with, and now at the final straw?

Either way, keep us posted!

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Never, never, ever buy a first revision. Always bugs and issues to iron out.

7. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

This has not been the case for a LONG time. Apple laptops are always evolving. Next years laptops will have more changes and new bugs to go along with those new processors and other changes.
    No issues with my 13" and 15" Touch bar machines.

R.

8. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Ask the OP.

9. LanceHudson, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017

LanceHudson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great replies, guys.

The reason I say they won't take it seriously is because I had the trackpad issue with a previous machine, took it to the Apple Store and the "genius" started explaining to me that it's a force trackpad etc, and he was having none of it. IT was only when I brought up the random shutting down that he gave me any attention and I got a replacement.

As soon as I got this one, I checked the trackpad and there was no noise. It has, however, come back. I worry taking this machine to the store as there isn't a significant fault - like I had on the previous machine - and the genius likely overlook them as he did last time. Or was I just unlucky?

Considering this is the 2nd 2016 MacBook I'm on, and it's definitely not faultless, I am disappointed! I bought this laptop to last 5 years, and I am worried it just won't last that long. I had no issue with my previous laptop (a Sony VAIO) which is still rock-solid at 5 years old (albeit with an SSD/RAM upgrade).
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2017 ---
    Hi, these issues have built up over the last few months.

First issues I had almost out the box was the graphics and the touch bar freezing. I thought this is (and probably is) a software issue so this didn't prompt me to return the computer. A few weeks out the return window, I started having the trackpad rattling. Again, this wasn't too big a deal and I was too busy at work to care about taking it in to be checked. However, in the last week or so, my speakers have started the rare 'crackling' and the 'b' key has become unreliable. This is where the building up of issues has started to annoy me, and prompting me to get it checked out.

The last thing which is worries me is that I won't be able to re-create these issues in store. From previous experience with geniuses, if you can't recreate it, the will nicely tell you to 'go away'. And with my issues being so rare, I doubt I can re-creare in store unless I'm lucky. Except from the trackpad. I'm not sure if all geniuses are like this, but at the Glasgow Buchanan store, they're definitely not as friendly as you guys make them out to be!

10. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Well, no one here can exchange it for you. Take some pics of the issues when they DO happen, then go to the store.

R
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2017 ---

Why is his experience more valid than mine? My first MacBook Air (bought two years ago) has issues. That was not a "new" model. Maybe we should all skip the 3rd year of a product because my unit had problems!

Please don't attack a product you don't own and aggregate forum negativity to suit your choice not to buy a laptop. Most of us are really enjoying these machines. For my photography usage, this is the least buggy experience I've had and I likely owned more Apple stuff than most people here.

R

11. LanceHudson thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course, I'm going to take it in and hope for the best.

Many thanks for your responses

12. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

See if you can catch some evidence on your phone/camera and bring it in. Make a list of the issues and how often it happens (be sure to include that it happens with various apps, so they don't blame the software). You may get a good employee who will swap it out.

Let us know how it goes and good luck

R.