Lots of photos with iPad and no Mac?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by retrocool, Nov 12, 2015.

1. retrocool macrumors newbie

retrocool

Is there any way to use the iPad as the only device when one of your uses is to keep a fairly large library of photographs (400gb or so)? I'm trying to see if my mother needs a new macbook or if I can get her an iPad instead. And possibly a NAS or mobile hard drive - or something.

Everything else she does would be better done on an iPad.

Cheers!

retrocool

2. retrocool thread starter macrumors newbie

retrocool

iCloud, for a 400gb picture library? Hmmmmmmm.

3. silverblack, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

iPad is a mobile device, very good for media consumption, but not meant to be a central storage hub. You need a computer with a large hard drive for that. If you want to save $, find a used Mac or even pc.

I also tried the mobile hard drive route. It worked, but very slowly. It takes a while to even cache the photo thumbnails every time you use it, and I had nowhere close to 400 GB of photos. It's OK for just traveling, but not as a permanent solution.

4. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I don't use my NAS this way but it strikes me that most of the NAS offerings (or even external hard drives) have some form of "personal cloud" offering these days. Maybe you could use that functionality to offload your images to the external drive (and access them again) without having any sort of PC intermediary. Just connect the NAS to your LAN (or external HD to your router via USB). I haven't actually done this though so you'll want to check out what the user experience is like to get the images from iPad to storage like that.

5. retrocool thread starter macrumors newbie

retrocool

Thanks Silverblack, good to hear from someone who's tried the mobile HD route. I guess that's the answer: no can do. Mother gets a macbook instead then.

6. Zorba macrumors regular

Zorba

NAS is the way to go. I use Synology PhotoStation automatic uploader, so every photo I take will be uploaded to my NAS at home. Very convenient and I don't have to pay for Apple services.

7. TurboPGT! Suspended

Yes, because your mother is not going to take care of a NAS, or even know if it is turned on.

iCloud Photo Library is ideal for all people, especially those who are not going to do anything but consume and expect it to work.

8. driftless macrumors 65816

driftless

Yes, it works for everyone regardless of skill levels. Storage up to 1TB. Works well with an iPad which also easy to use. The screen on on the iPad Pro is the best mobile screen out there by the way.

9. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Yeah, I'd opt for iCloud Photo Library as well in this case, it removes all the technical details from the equation.

10. max2 macrumors 68020

Best way to stream photos from a pc to iPad without having to buy and use cloud ?

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I can't really speak for someone with a library that large, although I migrated my library from iPhoto (having tried Lightroom for a bit) onto Google Photos. I've been very impressed.

iPhoto was good to an extent, although it became cumbersome to manage as my library grew, and the file structure kind of became a mess after migrating my library several times. I love that Google Photos has unlimited storage space and I can access it from any device with an internet connection without having to take up much physical storage space (except for some cached files). It also does a good job at organizing all of my shots automatically without requiring any time from me. It makes cool little collages and videos as well, and I never have to worry about clutter since it deletes duplicate images and has unlimited storage.

I would say though that it works best with personal photo libraries. If you're a serious photographer who does photography as a hobby or for a living and generally have lots of photos that are for clients and not necessarily your own personal photos, you would probably not want to mix up those photos together. I believe you can make albums and such in Google Photos, but I generally let it do all of the work for me.

You are limited to 16 megapixels per photo and 1080p video under their unlimited account, although that's perfect for me since my camera's resolution is under that.

12. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Online photo storage service. Flickr, Amazon, etc.